Clear all

Recordings don't lie

19 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Man, I have a new laptop and figured I'd record some noodling on my acoustic, oh boy do I need to get a metronome :)

Chord changes I thought were sounding decent, um....don't.

well, back to practice....:)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Yup, recording yourself is a great tool that everyone should try.

It can be a real eye opener at times. :shock:

On the flip side though, it's very rewarding when you nail it! :D

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

You're not wrong.

I've only just started to record myself. It really is an eye opener. Talk about unvarnished truth.

I'll be making a lot more recordings of myself from now on as an aid to improving technique.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Recordings can be addictive...

I did 15 songs in 3 days (crudely) in March.Sometimes as the mood strikes me i make a recording.

Makes you feel like a star.I love listening to my version of 'Holiday' and 'Homecoming'.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Hmm..

I'm always alot more nervous just recording myself on my own. But with a band I'll breeze it first time.

Always factor that in...

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

how true.
so you think you sound funny hearing your voice on the phone machine?
record yourself playing guitar.

this should be mandatory for everyone.
a recorder should come with the strap, picks, and amp.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I actually went to an electronics store today to find something cheap to use to record myself. Didn't find anything. Will look again this week at other places.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

rparker,

if you have a computer you can use that easily.

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

rparker,

Scott

Duh. Talk about a senile moment. :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Laugh!, kind of a double one cause if I would have thought about it for a half of a second, obviously you have a computer, um, you are posting with it, man and I'm only 43 hehe :)

if you hav'nt used Audacity give it a try, there is a plugin that lets you convert to mp3's for it.

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I use my digital camera to record myself when I play. It really does help. I'd rather hear/see myself playing guitar then talking any day though, my voice doesn't sound anything like what I hear.

I think all I need is a mike for my computer for recording and to download a program to record it, had some trouble with my computer in the past and didn't want to worry about losing anything.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Recording yourself is an excellent way to improve your playing and singing.

But recordings can lie. They lie all the time.

I have not spent too much time in the studio, but once my band recorded a demo CD. We were all put in isolation booths, could only hear our own playing and the others through headphones. I played all my guitar on a very small Fender amp super clean. Distortion was added later and you would have thought I was playing a Marshall stack. We also made a few mistakes. The guy recording us used software to find the bad note quickly, and with one push of a button the bad note was gone.

I realize that is not what you were talking about in your thread, but with modern recording equipment and techniques you can make a horrible singer sound like Neil Diamond.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

... my voice doesn't sound anything like what I hear.

s'right - the voice you hear picks up bass overtones by resonating through the jawbone into the head. The voice you hear on your digital camera is the voice everybody else hears.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

... my voice doesn't sound anything like what I hear.

s'right - the voice you hear picks up bass overtones by resonating through the jawbone into the head. The voice you hear on your digital camera is the voice everybody else hears.

Best,

A :-)

I always thought as much, but was never sure.

Very annoying seeing as I orignally thought I was too bassy and needed a bit more purity.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

rparker,

Scott

Duh. Talk about a senile moment. :oops:

Sure recordings lie; it's called "punch in." :lol: :lol:

Parker, if you have a walmart/cheapo PC microphone you can plug that sucker into the pink input on your PC and download a free version of cool edit pro or garageband or something. Just compress the heck out of it (most of the free programs also have free plugins, but I can *cough* send you some), add some reverb and there you go :)

I like cheapo recording because you think of what the old blues guys had to work with on wax, etc. It still astounds me that we have 400x more technology in a PC nowadays than we did when we put a man on the moon :shock: .

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2