Notifications
Clear all

Reduced hand strength and strng gauges

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Good job staying with it. I know how you feel. I have posted this before, but I suffered a serious accident a cople of years ago which resulted in my hand being almost completely amputated. It was surgically reattached and was a very long road to being able to play again. First I had to heal (with the help of some screws, external fixator and a metal plate). Then I had to regain some strength and flexibility. My injured hand happens to be my strumming hand and I couldn't turn my wrist enough to strum the strings.

Trust me when I say there is going to be pain envolved with the physical therapy (especially when it comes to breaking the scar tissue - OUCH!!!) but you shouldn't push the pain too much when you're playing. Do your therapy and play then play for as long as you can and as often as you can until you eventually build up your stamina and strength. You'll get there. I also agree that you might want to stick with the 9's for now.

My hand still hurts and I often drop my pick, but I will never quit. Keep up the fight!

By the way, I am currently looking for an over-the-counter topical arthritic gel/lotion to help with the pain. You might want to consider doing the same.

Good luck!

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2