Skip to content
Riffs you thought w...

Notifications
Clear all

Riffs you thought were super hard to learn,but wasn't.

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Trying to get out of juinor memeber mode! One of the guitar riffs I thought was super hard to learn to play was "Crossroads" by Eric Clapton(Cream).I didn't learn until years later (ok,decades later!). A simple little riff,starting with a barred one finger A chord,followed by a bend and a pull off on the A string,2nd fret,then a D7 appregiated notes. Real simple.I feel like a moron for not figuring it out sooner.I figured out "Voodoo Child" by Hendrix in a short time after learning scales,but Crossroads gave me fits.Other simple riffs I thought was hard was Whole Lotta love.Two notes and a barred E. Doh!(smacks forehead). What riffs gave you all fits that wasn't really hard at all?

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Sunshine of your love, also Clapton/Cream

I was probably most intimidated by the thought that since it is a Clapton tune it obviously needs his level of mastery. :roll:

But it turns out that it's quite straightforward. My 9 year old learned it in less than a week.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Youngins' got it made these days.Back in the day,all we had was a record players.No tabs,no computers,no internet,no YouTube free lessons,etc.Then again,so folks figure things out then some of us.It took two decades to learn "Wildwood Flower"! My dad tried to teach that to me for years. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

another Led Zep song...Communication Breakdown. I always liked that intro. one day I stumbled onto it and found it quite easy. open E string with D and A chords. oh, and fierce attitude.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

Mississippi Queen - after I played the song on guitar hero, I thought it would be very difficult. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it in RL

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yes, tab has taken all the fun out of learning songs ................................... :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Mississippi Queen - after I played the song on guitar hero, I thought it would be very difficult. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it in RL

I can't play Guitar Hero to save my life,even the bass.Now I can copy the licks on my bass note for note on the songs,but can't do it on the fake guitar playing bass. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, tab has taken all the fun out of learning songs ................................... :lol:

You know what I mean. You look up the tabs,play the notes,or look it up on You Tube and seeing it played just ain't the same as searching the fretboard when hearing the song played on a record player 1/2 the speed.Then again I've heard some kids that take lessons and learn and do these super fast riffs and scales,and can't play rythym or a 12 bars blues solo for nothing.

ReplyQuote