Clear all

Saga PRS Kit

20 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking of starting another project and using this kit. What do you think? $160 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAGA-HT-10-PR-STYLE-BUILD-YOUR-OWN-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-KIT_W0QQitemZ140007036317QQihZ004QQcategoryZ47067QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@Anonymous)

Let me know if you get it...you have me gassing for THIS!

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

mikespe:

you've gotten me into cheap guitars. there's a $69 Agile telecaster that I want. Know anything about it?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Which model is it: Agile TC-730 Semi-Hollow or Agile TC-630 or Agile TC-1000WAD or Agile TC-630 Trem?

I seriously doubt it's either of the last 2 I mentioned since they are the most expensive and the newest models. If you don't mind me asking where can you get this for $69? I have been wanted one of these since I got into Agiles almost a year ago.

One last thing...I wouldn't use the term "cheap" when describing Agiles...INEXPENSIVE is better. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've been working on the Saga Tele kit for a while -- mainly trying to get a good finish on it. Here's the problem: The body is completely coated in sanding sealer to make it smooth. If you like the grain and want it to show through, the only way to do it reasonably is with a transparent lacquer -- you will not be able to stain the body and go clear lacquer. Note the PRS model is finished in the "natural" color to show the grain. I suspect the sanding sealer is the reason.

I finally decided to create a BeaterCaster after a bit of 'finish frustration': Lacquered it black; beat it up, and created wear areas; lacquer with clear; leveled, buffed, selectively polished. It looks good as a beater guitar. (Photos to follow when done.)

The electronics and HW: I'm going to try the pups, but have replaced the pots, jack, wiring and switch -- originals are junk. The tuners are outa there, replaced with Grovers. I drilled the body and bridge plate, added string ferrules, and now it's string-thru body, instead of string-thru bridge.

I think the Saga kits are best for solid color paint or lacquer. Don't expect a deep, beautiful PRS quilt or flame finish. Also note the fret markers are just cheapo plastic, as is the nut -- not really a PRS sort of detail.

All that said, the neck pocket is pretty good; the neck seems straight and serviceable. Frets are okay. It's worth the $$.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks for the info gnease! I'd really like to see the pictures when its finished...even NOT finished would be fine! I am assuming there isn't a truss rod? If not is the only way to adjust the neck is to use shims?

I have another Squier Strat I got from eBay for $100 coming in this week. I wanted to strip it down and try my hands a fully customizing a guitar. I want to use the GFS Wired Pickguard and try Wilkinson Kluson style tuners. Maybe even install a Vintage Style GOLD Tremolo to complete the picture!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Sounds like fun! Looks like you'll be needing a bigger house soon :P

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Rondo Music

http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar-ss2.html

Looks like the price went up to $109. Funny. I just saw it there the other day for $69. Anywya, what do you think? is this better than a Squier?

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I always wanted to try a Saga kit. People are split on them from what I find. Some love them, some hate them. But you'll get that with just about any bit of gear.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Rondo Music

http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar-ss2.html

Looks like the price went up to $109. Funny. I just saw it there the other day for $69. Anywya, what do you think? is this better than a Squier?

Those are the SX line...I hear mixed reviews on them. You can check Harmony Central's reviews or here at the Agile Forums (this is NOT a Rondo site).

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the info gnease! I'd really like to see the pictures when its finished...even NOT finished would be fine! I am assuming there isn't a truss rod? If not is the only way to adjust the neck is to use shims?

I have another Squier Strat I got from eBay for $100 coming in this week. I wanted to strip it down and try my hands a fully customizing a guitar. I want to use the GFS Wired Pickguard and try Wilkinson Kluson style tuners. Maybe even install a Vintage Style GOLD Tremolo to complete the picture!

Shims and a truss rod are for neck angle and relief, respectively -- two different aspects of neck adjustment. The Saga guitars have truss rods. Shims might still be necessary in the neck pocket. They are "as required" on every bolt-on except those with the infamous Fender (or later on, refined and generally good G&L) Micro-tilt adjustments.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

AHHHH! I didn't see the truss rod in the pictures (or I missed it) so I wasn't sure...

Any picture you may have I would like to see. My head is spinning right now as to what I want to do...I might just mod the Squier first then see where I'm at.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Deceptive advertizing practices: Those sneaky Saga guys went and hid the truss rod inside the neck!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Why the heck would they put it there? :? :wink: I mean it IS a kit you ASSEMBLE right? :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was originally thinking about the Tele kit, but the drawback is that it doesn't have a string through design. You'd have to drill the holes yourself through the guitar. While I'm not oppossed to that, just a little more detail work than I was gunning for in a kit.

Good points on the PRS... I mean, the whole point would be to stain it so you could see the grain. If it is sealed, you really can't stain it?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2