Clear all

*said through gritted teeth* - Extraneous Noise

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@alex_)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Right.. i always used to play Michael Angelo style picking hand, where my hand doesnt tough the string, its arcked right over and my thumb and plec where 180 degrees away from the pickup..

Then when i started practising with a lot of volume, i asked my guitar teacher, and he said just change your technique to mute all the strings your not playing with your palm.. and when you play a note, make sure with that finger, the string below and above are muted, so i play at an angle now.. fine.

That theoretically should work and i should be able to play as loud as i want and only hear the notes im playing, nothing else.

But.. when playing something like, Trilogy Suite (Yngwie) where its the E and B strings, whenever i move from one to the other, my hand moves off the G string (the most annoying of all) and rings, IT RINGS, and i hate it.. and cant think of a way around it.

Also when i move my hand off the bottom E you get that low ringing sound, and whenever i do anything like string skipping, when i move, my hand moves off a string im muting and sounds, and i cant get in touch with my guitar tutor to ask him, any ideas please?

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Sorry Alex, but could you explain it a bit more? I don't quite get why you need to mute strings you aren't going to play when single picking notes in the first place, or why you would hear anything but the notes you are playing?

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Michael Angelo talked about this problem in the Speed Kills DVD. He said to stop this, instead of muting with his palm like most, he would instead use his fingers when he frets. When he frets a note, the finger would automatically mute the string above (as in the higher note) and the string bellow it.

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i know, im talking about sympathetic strings.. where you play, like, 12th fret, high E string and mute it, the bottom E and A will ring.

symapthetic frequencies of them, if you play a note, any other note which can produce a harmonic of the same note on that string, will ring.

ReplyQuote