Clear all

Satisfaction.

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Guys. I know that you all probably know from my previous past posts about quitting and whatnot well I was on the phone with my girlfriend the other day (17) im (16) - if that matters, and she said, "Hey why dont you play EVERYTHING you know on the guitar for me, I mean you play off and on for me but why dont you play EVERYTHING?" I said, hmm well it would take a while she said ok! So I put my cell down next to the behringer turned it on and clicked the distortion foot pedal on and started playing. I played almost everything I know, its impossible to remember it all once you get past knowing like 20 songs. Anyways I played everything from slayer songs i know to tom petty metallica ozzy more ozzy and more ozzy and a bunch a solos and what not Id say it took about 45 min of non stop playing and when I got back on the phone with her, after ending it with perfect "eruption finger tapping" and thunderstruck She said, IN COMPLETE STUNN. OH MY GOD JOSH. OH MY GOD. I NEVER KNEW YOU WERE THAT GOOD. OH MY GOD. I said, yea sure whatever your just being sweet and she said no OH MY GOD, THAT BLEW ME AWAY you played 45 min of perfect guitar!!!!!! "and its not like you repeated anything either it was all different stuff!! OH MY GOD YOU HAVE TO JOIN A BAND OR SOMETHING!!! You always messed around on the phone while talking but i never had a clue you can play an hour of sweet guitar!! She said, and thats not even any of the classical songs you know!! like dee, or dairy of a madman!! You are sooooooooo good!!! I said, thank you, Its really a confidence booster! She said and you've only been playing for a year and a half!! WOW IMAGINE YOU AT LIKE 5 YEARS!!!!!! I said thank you so much!!

Anyways guys, I just wanted to tell you that I guess your opinion of yourself really is alot lower then what you are. I have learned that my patience for 2 years has paid off and I am farther from quitting then ever. Anyways, as corny as it is, I truely did think i SUCKED, not that I think that im all van halen now or anything, but Since i dont have a recorder or really anyone to listen to me, that was a really a mind change.

But yea, I guess the moral of this story is dont ever quit at what your doing just because YOU dont think your amazing at it. As one wise person on this forum said, The toughest critic is yourself.

Peace

MetallicaMan :D :D :D :D

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, how good is someone? Ask ten people about Cobain and you know what kind of flamewar will erupt. Same with you: some might say you suck, others might say you rule. Who cares, it's just words. And again: why care about being amazing or not? Trust me, if your decision to continue is based on what a girl said then I can guarantee you you'll be back here with a quitting post within a year.
Anyways guys, I just wanted to tell you that I guess your opinion of yourself really is alot lower then what you are.

I highly doubt it. That would make in reality twice as good as Hendrix and Segovia combined...

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Oooo Somebody had a bad day^^ Jeez, I was just sharin the happy. Just sayin my girl thinks im amazing, and That boosts my thought of my playing and makes me far from quitting. I didnt say I was basing my entire guitar life over some chic, i was just sharing what she said because it was sort of special to me in a way. Dam*

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member

MM,

Don't sweat it - you've realised an important point. We are our own harshest critics.

The important thing is that (regardless of what the catalyst is) you've decided to stick with your playing. I made the other choice quite a number of years ago and gave up when I probably shouldn't have. I've recently rediscovered my passion and realise how much I've missed it all this time.

I'm not sure that Arjen meant to come across quite as harsh as his post seemed to suggest.....or maybe he did.....who knows?

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I think his take home point is that your happiness comes from within.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I think there are a couple of great points being made here. When I'm feeling down about my guitar playing, there's nothing that will pick me back up then someone saying how much they enjoy listening to me play. But at the same time, occasionally I get a little too full of myself. It's then that I have to back up tell my self that my playing is not perfect and that I have plenty of aspects of my playing to work on that need a lot of improving. So in the end, I think they're both good lessons to keep in mind: True, we are our own biggest critics...but sometimes, to get better, a big critic is just what we need :D !

PS. I was glad to read your happy story MM. It's great to hear your back in the swing of things, guitar-wise!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

MetallicaMan

Glad to hear you are much happier about your guitar playing. It is true that we are our own worst critics. But really, I think that is good. That is what pushes you to keep practicing and trying to improve.

Myself, I am just the opposite. When someone tells me I am great on guitar (which has happened quite a few times) I feel sort of foolish. Because I know I am not that great on guitar at all.

I really don't need someone to tell me I am good. I have ears, I can tell when I am playing well, and I can tell when I am playing poorly. So, I really don't listen to others, especially non-players.

And I don't really judge myself by the way others play. If I judged myself against Steve Vai, I am always going to feel I am terrible. No, I just play like me. And I know when I am doing a good job of it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

WTG, MM!!!

I think you just hit another level of maturity!

Great lesson!

Wes also has good points!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Good to hear, it's always nice to get compliments like that :)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote