Clear all

scales!

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

well i just learned the am pentatonic scale out of my book but its the only one in there what others should i learn and i need some resources ! any info would be greeat

Jerm

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Not so fast. Did you know that probably 90% or more of all Rock solos are played with the Minor Pentatonic scale?? It's true. So, practice that scale up and down and inside out. Listen to songs with simple solos, they were probably played with this scale. Try and copy those solos and you will see a lot of music is packed into this scale.

But other scales to learn are the Major scale and the Major Pentatonic scale.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i see.. but does the scale change i mean it said a minor pen. scale is there a e minor pe. scale? or am in not understanding something here?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. There's a minor pentatonic scale rooted on each of the 12 tones of the chromatic scale.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

and what would be the best search topic for this

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

You could, if you so desired, start with some of the lessons right here at Guitar Noise. We've got them on just about every topic that a guitarist might be interested in. Here's a decent primer on scales in general and how they relate to the guitar:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=73

This article pretty much gives you the two (or four, depending on how you look at it) main scales guitarists use.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Mixolydian is a great improvising scale, and it livens up he old Pentatonic Minor. Also can produce some awesome jazzy sounds!

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote