Clear all

Scotch Tape

18 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have been experimenting with different plectrums recently, and while finding a preference for the Dunlop "Stubby" (as opposed to the Big Stubby) I found it quite slippery between my fingers. A solution was found within the realms of Scotch tape! I wrapped a little bit of this around the plectrum and now it stays put and is actually a lot more comfortable too!

Just thought I'd share this little tip. :)

Picture below (ignore the other plectrums :D )

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Hmmm..
When I think "Scotch tape" what comes to mind is much more transparent, and has a glossy surface on the non-sticky side.
Is what you are using a sticky-on-both-sides tape?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Did you ever consider using "Gorilla Snot"?

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This scotch tape (maybe it's no called that then :?: ) has a matt finish on one side, similar in feel to a tortex pick actually (but seems to be grippier). It's usual application is because you can write on it, but it's a plastic tape, it's not like masking tape.

Rob

Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Oh, that sort of tape.
I'm familiar with that. I don't know what the brand name is here, though.

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to use different names on products in different markets. Sure is confusing, though.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah. It's quite common around here in stationary shops, I'm sure you'll know what I mean if you see it.

Rob

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

I just started using much thicker picks recently, and I tend to make scratches on them with a knife when they get too slippery.

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Good idea! I think I'll do that with some of my pick..

It happened so many times that I lost my plectrums in the hole of my accoustic guitar :oops: Now, when I shake my guitar, it's like playing maracas.

(just kidding, the plectrums don't stay in my guitar...)

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Good idea! I think I'll do that with some of my pick..

It happened so many times that I lost my plectrums in the hole of my accoustic guitar :oops: Now, when I shake my guitar, it's like playing maracas.

(just kidding, the plectrums don't stay in my guitar...)

When I first started playing, I would practice for 15 min. then spend 15 min. shaking my guitar over my head trying to get the pick out.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You guys have nailed the main reason I learned to use my fingers from strumming instead of a plec....

Besides that, on a song like, for instance, "More Than A Feeling," how are you going to change from fingerpicking to strumming when you get to the chorus? You've either got to fingerpick with a plec - which is harder - or strum with your finger/nail. Can't expect the band to pause for a few beats while you're searching through your pockets for that elusive plec! (It's probably at home anyway, in the lint trap of your washing machine......)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i think it's called gaffer's tape.

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

You guys have nailed the main reason I learned to use my fingers from strumming instead of a plec....

Besides that, on a song like, for instance, "More Than A Feeling," how are you going to change from fingerpicking to strumming when you get to the chorus? You've either got to fingerpick with a plec - which is harder - or strum with your finger/nail. Can't expect the band to pause for a few beats while you're searching through your pockets for that elusive plec! (It's probably at home anyway, in the lint trap of your washing machine......)

Vic

Or you can just put your plec between your lips, but if you sing, it's a problem, in fact .. :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Vic

Or you could just tuck the finger in your hand while you are finger picking - Buddy Guy and many others have gotten very fast at going back and forth.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

But I'm not Buddy Guy....I have enough problems with various techniques to worry about without creating unnecessary ones. My reasoning went thus....I can play with a plec, or without. I can't fingerpick with a plec, but I can without one. I can strum with a plec, but I can also strum without one. Therefore I either use a plec or stop fingerpicking....so the plec went. Problem solved.

Might not work for everyone, but it certainly works for ME....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

But I'm not Buddy Guy....I have enough problems with various techniques to worry about without creating unnecessary ones. My reasoning went thus....I can play with a plec, or without. I can't fingerpick with a plec, but I can without one. I can strum with a plec, but I can also strum without one. Therefore I either use a plec or stop fingerpicking....so the plec went. Problem solved.

Might not work for everyone, but it certainly works for ME....

Vic

Well... your approach has worked out pretty well for Hubert Sumlin (and many others)..... :D

I personally don't do much finger pickin' (except on accoustic), but I will sometimes palm the pic and strum with my finger and thumb. Only problem is that it results in more dropped pics for me. I don't have teh dexterity I used to, so I rarely do anything but straight picking with a plec.

To address my dropping problem, I have used Gorilla Snot and it has worked great for me.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2