Seagull S6 ?

33 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hello ,

I have not known much about seagulls , nither seen any here.So how do you think the Seagull S6 acoustic guitar is ?

http://www.seagullguitars.com/products6.htm

From the harmony central reviews , i have found that the cedar top catches marks , dents etc very easily.Is that a big problem ? Or the guitar starts looking very shabby in some time ?

I have heard praises of seagull guitars out here.Perhaps you know what kind of music interests me (if not , there is my soundpage).Will this guitar suit that ?

Thanks ,

Rahul

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Rahul,

I love the Seagull S-6! I friend of mine has one, and I play it whenever I visit. I have had my eye on one too, and it will be my next purchase. Still not sure if I want the electronics in it or not though... probably, as I play live alot.
It's a beautiful sounding guitar, and is good for all styles of music. Easy to play too. The neck is fast, and the scale size is a bit smaller than normal, I think.
My opinion... go for it!!! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Cedar is a very soft wood, but you can't beat it's sound. I say if this is your first guitar opt for a solid top till you get your strumming under control (Seagull has many to choose from) otherwise you may scratch the crap out of it before you master it.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Art&luthrie is right Cedar is very soft and will mark easily if your not carefull. I have three friends who each have a cedar top seagull and they are very nice sounding guitars. I pesonnally prefer the sound of a spruce top, and if you are concerned about the top getting marked seagull does make spruce top S6's as well. They probably cost a little more (not sure) though.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Seagull get a lot of good reviews around here. I love them, I've played tons of them, and they were all great. The S6 is wonderful, but it will dent easily. Just take care of it, and consider the bumps along the way as character marks! I would get one if I had the money, put I don't!

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Rahul

Who cares if it scratches or dents easily? You want a guitar that plays and sounds good.

Check out this article of Willie Nelson's famous battered Martin.

http://www.diburro.com/wb_willieguitar.shtml

If you play a guitar it is going to get scratched up and dented. If you want it to look pretty, buy a glass case, hang it on the wall, and never play it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

I've had my S6 Gloss Top not quite two years and it's a great guitar. The cedar top has a hard gloss finish as opposed to the softer matte finish on the S6 and it does a very good job of protecting it. I know players who literally shred on their acoustics and it doesn't matter what the top is, they tear them up pretty fast. Anything you play regularly is going to show some wear and tear, so I wouldn't be concerned about the cedar top.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

My choices are also limited due to me being left handed.And then i can't spend way too much.

I have to decide either between a seagull or this washburn - http://www.zzounds.com/item--WASD10SCELH

For less price it gives me a cutaway plus a pre amp.Now , i can of course not try these guitars out , due to my location , hence , somehow i have to make a choice for future !

Suggest please.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I love both Washburns and Seagulls. I would take the Seagull because I think its would have better quality. The D10 is a great guitar, but I've seen a lot of quality issues with them over the years. I think Art & Lutherie would back me up here my saying that anything from the Lasido family, (Godin, Seagull, A&L, and others) are great values. There have been lots of good things said about them on this board, and everywhere else for that matter!

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Sorry Rahul, I didn't read who the post was from :oops: Of coarse this isn't your first acoustic and you definately have your strumming under control 8) Like I said you can't beat the sound of cedar I'd go for it!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i'd buy the seagull. i have the M6 which is the same as the S6 except it's mahogany instead of....whatever. the top is spruce. it's four years old now and i can tell the sound is changing somewhat and becmoning more mellow and nice. i've hit my guitar pretty hard at times and it takes it pretty well. there are some small scratches/dents along the side but it looks great.

ReplyQuote
(@homchz)
Eminent Member

I have never played a Seagull, but have only heard good things about them and the S6 seems to be the most talked about.

Joshua Jones New Folk Singer Songwriter
Joshua Jones @ MySpace

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i have an S6+ Folk (via nick) and it's wonderful. the cedar top sounds nice, and who cares if it scars easily. badges of honor!!! i dont think you can go wrong. there are tons of far worse guitars you can buy, and if the Seagull is your worst purchase, then i'd say you're doing great.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

I have an m6 cedar its got good tone but it does scratch easy and I have the marks to prove it. Its a bit easier to finger pick the seaguls the strings seem not as close as other acoustics. BTW the marks don't bother me a bit

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Raul, listen to Wes, who cares if it has scratches or dings, if it sounds good, thats whats important. I have both the S-6, and the Folk, and they are both cedar. The folk does scratch easier, but the S-6 has the gloss top, and has very few scratches. So get the gloss top if you are really worried about appearences, but they both sound good.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3