Clear all

Searching for "the" guitars

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone... as most of you know I tend to buy and sell guitars with a "Bish-like" frenzy. I've come to find that there are certain guitar that work well with me and have the sound I'm looking for... there are also guitars that I really like to look at and hold, but I can't "play" the way I want. I've found that I'm just partial to "light" guitars... the 8-10 pound guitars of the world just seem to be too much of a burden for me... Ii guess I'm getting old...

Anyway... I've nailed down that I'm "in tune" with the following three guitars in my collection:

- Gibson SG
- Fender FMT Custom Tele
- Washburn Beer Guitar

I've been purging some of my other guitars (Hamer, Washburn WI66, ESP Goldtop, etc) to raise money to look for other guitars that might fit better. I'm pretty sure that a Stratocaster is in my future... here are some other options (some go against the "light" decree so they may be dropped from the roation)...

Fender USA Strat (probably hwy 1)
Fender USA Tele (probably hwy 1)
Jackson Floyd-Rose
Gibson Flying V faded with moon dot markers
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson VooDoo or Gothic Les Paul
Gibson VooDoo or Gothic Explorer

I was also thinking of possibly building a Carvin Bolt Kit... with a Wilkinson two-point tremolo.

Does anyone have the same thoughts about guitars? I love the Gibson tone and the Gibson pickups, but I'm worried that the Les Paul will be too heavy and I won't bother picking it up... I'm also a fan of having instruments that are a little different from the mainstream, while maintaining solid build quality and resale value (since I tend to turn over the instruments).

Ok, this was more of a stream-of-consciousness rant, but maybe some of you have some interesting ideas...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Hello everyone... as most of you know I tend to buy and sell guitars with a "Bish-like" frenzy. ...
:shock:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

The Dali Lima wrote:
Hello everyone... as most of you know I tend to buy and sell guitars with a "Bish-like" frenzy.

I'm afraid I can relate to only one part of that particular equation: the buying part. How do you all sell guitars so (seemingly) quickly and easily? Anyway, that's a different thread altogether...

Like you, I am realizing that certain guitars are better suited to my playing, both sound and comfort-wise. My list also includes 2 Gibson SGs and the Fender Custom Tele (the spalted maple one...pretty much the same as your FMT). Oddly enough, I can't locate the infamous Washburn Beer guitar anywhere. :D

Anyway, my "in tune" list also includes an American Tele and 2 American Strats. As for the LP Studio, I own one but cannot honestly add it to this list. While I love the deep, rich tone of it, it's never been a comfortable guitar for me to play (sitting or standing). So I seldom play it. :( And I've yet to locate another guitar with the same or similar sound...I thought a PRS might do the trick, but with standard pups, at least, they've got their own tone. I plan to switch the pups in one PRS (the SE Tremonti, which I got as a close-out). I'm hoping for a more LP-type tone as a result, as the PRS is much lighter and more balanced (IMHO).

Anyway, I think I understand what you're going through, and I wish you the best in your quest. Sorry I can't be of much help! Good luck, and hopefully you'll receive some replies that offer more solutions/ideas. :)

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I love the Gibson tone and the Gibson pickups, but I'm worried that the Les Paul will be too heavy and I won't bother picking it up...
I agree, the Les Paul is a heavy guitar. The tone is great for several types of music. Usually the humbuckers give a nice tone. I have an Epi but I didn't like how it sounds. It is a problem with those cheap pickups, althought I also think I prefer the Strat tone.

Currently, I'm checking a lot of guitars, mainly Fender Tele and Fender Strat but also humbucker-based guitars (PRS, Ernie Ball, Jackson, etc.).

It is just my opinion but I don't like the Hwy1. My favorites are the Strat Classic Player 50 and 60 and the Baja Tele. Try them if you have a chance. In fact, probably I will buy a 50. It only has a "trouble" to me: it does not have a conventional pickup scheme, I mean, the usual neck+middle config isn't available (it has a neck+bridge, it sounds great but I want the normal one, I like very much the "4 position"). The pickups and the sound are better than the "normal" Strat and Tele guitars (again, IMHO and also some reviews).

However, I think you must ask yourself about the tone. Your list includes several, very diverse tones. When you know the kind of sound, to select the guitar must be easier... or I want to believe it! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Nuno - don't let the pickup configuration scare you away - it is pretty easy to re-wire a strat to get the switch to work the way you want (or to replace the switch if necessary).

Yes, the sounds ARE pretty diverse. I am looking for a bluesy clean sound from one of the guitars and the other sound I'm looking for is an Iron Maiden driving sound. I have the classic rock sound already with the SG and the FMT Tele Custom.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Did you get a new amp yet? I thought you were looking ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, picked up a Traynor Custom Valve 40T. It rocks, very nice clean sound and it is LOUD. It has a great classic rock crunch, but definitely needs a little help with metal.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Dali, thanks for the advice! :D

If you are looking for a bluesy clean sound, then, please, check the Classic Player 50. I'm looking for the same sound and this guitar can give us that sound. Here are the specs (V-neck, 57/62 pickups, Gotoh vintage tuning machines...).

These guitars are "Custom Shop" designed but made in Mexico. I played the three and they are very, very cool. The 60 was some "scratchs" in the neck (probably they were made when they sanded the frets) and a "special" color (very light blue... the pickguard is mint green... the knobs and pickups are light yellow/cream...). The 60 and the 50 was also some minor troubles with the knobs (probably they weren't "aligned" to the rotation axis). Always minor complains. The Baja Tele was perfect.

The Hwy1 sounds nice, too, but these has more... personality? Probably they have better pickups (the 60 has Custom Shop 69's). The Hwy1 sounded very clear but also more plain.

Anyway, good luck in the quest! :D

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

It has a great classic rock crunch, but definitely needs a little help with metal.

Boss MT-2 + the SG should get pretty heavy sound through that.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The Dali Lima wrote:
Hello everyone... as most of you know I tend to buy and sell guitars with a "Bish-like" frenzy.

I'm afraid I can relate to only one part of that particular equation: the buying part. How do you all sell guitars so (seemingly) quickly and easily? Anyway, that's a different thread altogether...

I sell on Craigslist, locally, here, and through ebay. When in doubt I throw the guitar on ebay and it usually sells. Most of the equipment I have I was able to purchase pretty inexpensively (for the particular item) so if I sell at my cost or a little above I'm still breaking even. The point for me is to free up cash to try new gear.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote