Clear all

Should I....

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I currently have a Taylor 110 and just started to take lessons with a great teacher. He sugested that an acoustic electric may be the way to go, due to its size and he says the neck is alot faster. I have someone who will buy the Taylor and wanted anyone's opinion. Is there an acoustic electric around $500 that would be easier to play than the Taylor. I do already have an amp Vox AD30VT if this helps. I also have no plans in playing in a band or live for anyone but for myself and family. Thanking you in advance.

Greg

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Considering you've just started taking lessons, I would stick with the guitar you've got, unless you are seriosuly unhappy with it. Once you have learned the basics, been playing for a while and have the 'feel' for guitar playing, then look around for another guitar if thats what you desire.

The appeal of a new guitar is always tempting, and only ever gets worse as you play, but one thing is for certain; no matter how 'fast' the neck is, how much the guitar costs, or where you get it from, its YOUR SKILLS that make up 99% of what you hear being played, not the guitar! :)

good luck with your lessons!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Unless there is something wrong with it, you have a fine guitar. Honestly, a 'faster' neck sounds like a silly reason to switch guitars at this point. If you like playing acoustic, keep playing the Taylor, as you will build up needed strength and stamina faster on it. If you really just gotta have a 'faster' neck, get the Taylor set up with lighter strings -- that's what makes most A-E guitars easier to play. However, lighter strings will also cost you acoustic loudness and tone.

Above all, enjoy yourself.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

absolutely agree with others here.....its how you play...not what you play.....you wouldn't take up golf and buy the most expensive clubs straight off...stick with what you have...only YOU will know when/what suits your ability....give the crappiest guitar to a good guitarist and it will sound great :roll:

besides....you WILL acumulate.......................GAS :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Boy, I WISH I'd started off playing a Taylor! Instead of the guitar that had "Happy Trails from Roy Rogers" spray painted on it and action that you can drive a bus underneath.

Seriously, Keep the Taylor, if you play just for yourself you won't have a use for the electronics, a properly set up acoustic will help more than another guitar.

If you want to go electric then get the Squire 51 that everyone but me has here at GN. In my opinion, starting with an acoustic is great preparation for playing electric. And just about every electric player I know has an acoustic!

There is no substitute for putting in the work and effort in learning how to play, have a little patience and one day it'll all fall together. And, besides, it's going to be very hard to find a guitar that will beat the Taylor! :D

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Ditto on the "I wish I started on a Taylor." I listen to mostly HARD rock and metal but still find myself playing my acoustic far more often just because of the portability.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Agreed with everyone here. I would invest in an inexpensive electric guitar to play with that Vox. That way you have an electric and an acoustic. No need to get rid of the Taylor. Have you had the Taylor "setup" by a professional? They might be able to lower the action slightly, work on the nut, slightly sand the back of the neck to improve playability.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I have a Stagg electro-acoustic, and it feels closer to an electric than an acoustic to play, (apart from bends!). Worth a look if you can find one in a shop near you, however, my real advice would be to just go to any shop with a decent selection and play as many as you can for comparison. It's the only way you'll get a good idea of the range of playability that's available, where your Taylor sits in that range and where in that range you're most comfortable.

Advice on particular guitars is always good, but it's always flavoured by someone else's personal preference, and your own preference may well be different.

Racetruck: Happy trails! :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I agree with all the above. I also was thinking, keep the Taylor and get a cheap electric if you want something faster. The more guitars the better. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@meebit)
Eminent Member

I agree with all the above. I also was thinking, keep the Taylor and get a cheap electric if you want something faster. The more guitars the better. 8)

Yeah. Squier '51 anyone? I mean hell for $99 bucks, how can you go wrong (I mean it's not a first act, afterall)...

Anyway... I say hang on to the Taylor for now. Wait until you have enough skill under your belt to know what you like. I mean, what if it turns out that the Taylor is just what the doctor ordered? Won't you regret having gotten rid of it?

Just my 1.78 cents.

ReplyQuote