Clear all

Showmanship...?

36 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK, Happy with the sound of the band. Enjoying the gigs. Want to take it to the next level.

Video'd last gig & even though I was having a blast I'm just watching my fretboard & not interacting with the crowd. I need some advice on showmanship. I don't want to pull funny faces for the sake of it, & I don't want to over do it, because I'm no Jimi or SRV, but on the vidoe I just look cold & bored... not a good way to get the crowd excited! Anyone got any ideas or advice on how they 'let-go' on stage & feel comfortable enough to REALLY get into it?

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

For me, I don't necessarily play to the crowd, but get more animated as I get more into the show. The more fun I'm having on stage, the more animated I tend to be. Just let go and have fun.

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

I'm just watching my fretboard & not interacting with the crowd.
The exercise would be to learn your guitar parts so well that they are second nature, which gives you the freedom to think and act on stage.

I recommend practicing with your eyes closed. That usually remedies the need to look at the fretboard while you play, and increases tactile and muscle memory.

The next step would be to consider what stage persona suits you. Then you could choose appropriate clothes and actions that make sense.

For instance, you might want to consider a suit and tie, which is what they did in The Wonders in That Thing You Do movie. Jeans and a t-shirt are a great match for the Foo Fighters and their music. SRV went with the Texan look, while Jimi dressed for gypsy theater.

There are two basic methods -- by chance and by design. In most cases, a lot of thought and introspection is needed to figure out how to make the outer appearance match the inner personality.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

like anything it takes practice.

I have a hard time projecting to the audience when I'm doing something unfamiliar. Alison? No problema. Sultans of Swing, eh..not so much.

I can see it in the videos.

Video tape yourself when you practice. Choreograph a bit, but not too much. Play the song in front of the mirror.

Keep in mind that any action you decide to take needs to be HIT big or it won't be noticed or worse it will be and people will think you are only going through the motions.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Did you post any video anywhere?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Try smiling. Years ago, when I worked in an office, one of the managers told me, "Always smile when you're on the phone. Even if your client can't see it, he/she will feel it." Hey, if you're having a good time, and you LOOK as if you're having a good time, the audience will feel the mood and respond.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

ooooooor...just wear a stupid costume with a huge hat n no one will care if your not dancing around n pulling faces lol...a clown, an amish guy, a space-bunny - its all good

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Good advice,
I already wear a tie & waistcoat (inspired by Chris Cheney) 8)
I think the looking at the fretboard is a comfort thing, becasue I can play all our stuff with my eyes closed - (what about playing with a blindfold?! That would be a good stage trick!) and all my solos are improv anyway! Just have to learn to let go maybe - any advicde on that? :D

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I think you just have to be yourself, but look like you are enjoying yourself. There is no one thing that works for everybody.

I always got a big kick out of the Rolling Stones because there was such a contrast between the players. Mick Jagger is all over the stage, very outgoing. Keith Richards can act it up a bit too. But Charlie Watts the drummer and Bill Wyman the bassist always just had a little smile on their face. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx07A9LWBJA

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@cheesehead54)
Trusted Member

Hey, if you're having a good time, and you LOOK as if you're having a good time, the audience will feel the mood and respond.
I agree with Vic. The first time I played to a crowd, it was work and my face showed it. Everyone felt my pain. Get me in front of a campfire and a few friends and it is completly different. I didn't play any better yet everyone had a great time.
Keep a big smile on your face. They all want to be you, at least for a little while.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'm sort of shy on stage, and my face shows it.

that's why i wear a kfc bucket over my face.

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member

I'm not promoting substance abuse, but some beer might help.

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Amen bdkauff,
I usually have southern on ice during gigs, or Jim Beam & coke if I'm feeling reckless, cause it makes me giddy! Trying to find that line between relaxed & falling over! :lol: Always have to drive home from gig's too, so have to be under .05 to go home!!

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

i'm sort of shy on stage, and my face shows it.

that's why i wear a kfc bucket over my face.

haha :lol: yeah. The Colonel is always a jolly looking man. I can really see the crowd connecting with him

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

go watch footage of a bunch of bands you like on you tube-then pick the moves that would fit you and put them together for your self :D
this is coming from a guy who stands there like a log when he plays :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3