Clear all

what can i look at while i play?

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i'm looking for something passive that i can look at for extended periods of time while i practice. some sort of shifting psychedelic image or a slideshow of landscapes or bikini models or something easy to watch for a long time. no sound obviously. my screensaver slideshow doesn't work, and even if it did, all i have picture-wise are stupid lolcats.

i like to go outside and look at nature or landscaping, but obviously i can't do that at night or when it's raining.

i posted this on harmonycentral's website and just got constant trolling about looking at my hands and needing to be intense when i play from stupid kids. i've been playing more than half my life. i just want something for my mind to drift off to while i jam.

(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

hmm.. how about one of those tibetan mandalas.. the idea is that to gaze upon them can help you reach enlightenment.. worth a try I think! :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Ok, it seems the problem comes (or it's worse) at night and when it's raining. Personally I like very much the rain when I can see through the window. An idea: You can simply close your eyes and imagine your best scene or landscape.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If I'm playing in the dining room, I have some 12 x 10 holiday photos up on the wall - Leaning Tower of Pisa, Bridge of Sighs, Italian Garden in Lucca, couple of Italian Lakes near Garda, and the main park in Barcelona. All good memories and some pretty good photo work if I say so myself. Makes me feel warm and sunny.

If I'm playing in the study, it's ego-massage time. I have all my Grade Certificate looking down at me and a couple of live gig photos.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

How about a lava lamp?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Quite a strange request, but intriguing idea! I only wish I was good enough and didnt have to look so much!

I cant search for you, but I'd search for "Tranquil Screensaver", "Nature Screensaver", "Psychedelic Screensaver".

What might be good is getting some psychedelic plugin for winamp or similar then putting your guitar through it. This way the visual imagery will change according to your playing!

Good look!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

hmm.. how about one of those tibetan mandalas.. the idea is that to gaze upon them can help you reach enlightenment.. worth a try I think! :wink:

Doesn't do too much for a fiery temper though, does it? :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Just Kidding!!!!

Jason, I often close my eyes for slower things. Well, maybe it's more of this: I find my eyes closed when I'm doing some slower stuff. If not, than I am spaced out on some fixed object or whatever. I remember when my son was born, the lovely Ms Battleaxe focussed the whole day on a button on my shirt. If I moved even two inches without warning, I got bitched at.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

Hey I never said that I take my own advice! :lol:
Was it Alice in Wonderland who said, 'I give myself some good advice but I rarely ever listen' or some such..!

Maybe a fish tank? My dad used to keep tropical fish, there's a bit of work in looking after them but really lovely to watch, you never get bored watching them idly, and there's something so much more authentic about watching something 'real' than on a screen don't you think?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i'm really just looking for websites to stare at, like the lava lamp page, but maybe a little less cheesy or more intricate.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

i'm really just looking for websites to stare at, like the lava lamp page, but maybe a little less cheesy or more intricate.

Oh :oops: :oops: :oops:

Well, that changes things. look at your screen-savers and pick one out. If none appeal, search out free screen savers on google and snag it. Bound to be something......

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

not really. also, for some reason, the screen saver on my computer is messed up. for instance, i tried slideshow, and i can't set the settings. also, i don't want something that i have to wait 10 minutes for so that screen saver kicks in.

the web is huge. there's gotta be something like i asked for that someone knows about.

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

It is blocked here at work, but check out WebShots. It is a combination screen saver and photo sharing service.

My father-in-law is hooked on it. I'm sure you can find something in their gallery of galleries that will suit you.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

I understand what you're saying about your screensavers, but just so you know: You don't have to wait 10 minutes. That wait time is an option that can be changed. Last time I looked at mine there was a "preview now" button, so all you have to do is click preview and there you are.

Have you searched around on you tube?

And have you thought about some environmental sounds, like tracks with water or other sounds from nature? You could sit back, relax, close your eyes and jam out to the ocean waves, or whatever floats your boat.

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2