Clear all

Silvertone S11

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone have any firsthand expierence with the Silvertone S11...
There weren't many reviews for it at harmony central. Im basically wondering on its overall quality. I realize its on the lower end of the price scale. Basically I would like to know about its overall playability, what type of tuners (metal or plastic), how well it stays in tune and stays together.

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

You're in luck. When I decided a year and change ago that I was going to learn to play, without knowing what I was doing I bought a Silvertone SS11 guitar package from American Musical Supply. (Sunburst)

It's not a bad guitar or amp for what it is and that's a starter package. The tuners are metal, but very cheap. I pound on it and it will go a little flat which is okay with me since I like to play a lot of blues. (or at least attempt to) :D God forbid if you dive bomb the whammy bar though.

The action is a hair high for my tastes. (It's still set from the factory.) Only thing I've done to it is slap GHS Boomers .10's on it.The finish on this isn't the greatest. It scuffs and scratches easily and I can see finger marks along the back of the neck where I played. Even though I am religious about wiping my gear down. (I even wipe off and clean my buddies gear when we jam since he is lazy about it. ) The pick ups aren't the greatest either but what can you expect for the price.

Overall it isn't bad. However, had I had more information then I would have probably saved up a few dollars more and got a Squier pack. It's perfect as a first guitar/amp but it didn't take me but 6 months to replace both the guitar and amp. I will also recommend looking at some of the Schecter models if you can. THey have some great guitars for just a couple hundred more.

Mine still gets played, rarely. I have relegated it to an autograph guitar whenever I get the chance for that. I keep it too to let my friends, or relatives that don't play, and want to strum on something to mess with. (At least till it starts getting some good autographs. :) )

Are you looking at it as a spare or as a gift? Hope this helped some.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Perfect...
That was what I was looking for. I actaully allready purchased the guitar as a gift, should be coming in the mail, for a begginer... I just recently began to panick on its over all quality after hearing some poor remarks about Silvertone. Your reply was better than I expected so I am pleased with the purchase. Thanks for your time Twisted. I was glad to hear that it wasn't in need of a setup out of the box. No fret buzzing or snapping strings is probably the best you can hope for on guitars in this price range.
Anyway this should keep her hands off my Ibanez GSA for now :) Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

:D Glad I could help.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote