Clear all

So I decided to change strings today...

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

and thought I would jump from my standard bullet .09's that I've had on for 9 months :? to some ernie ball .10's.

First mishap was the high E string breaking.. don't really know how that one happened. Luckily I had a backup - which was from my set of .11's I had. So now I have the high E at an .11 guage.

After F'ing up on changing the strings bigtime (it's been awhile and I forgot my failsafe method), I noticed my tremelo. It is angled more sharply aka. not flush with the body of the guitar, or not close to the factory set up Fender had. Now, I had already trimmed my excess strings so I couldn't really adjust my tremelo without throwing off the strings.

So I guess after all of this ranting and raving I realized that I should have just kept the 9's, or not messed up so badly on the 10's.

PS- How much does a good set up cost? I feel like I might need one.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Well setups are different everywhere. Call it up some local shops and compare prices.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

The heavier strings pull harder on the tremolo springs, thus the bridge rises a little from the body of the guitar. A good set up will correct the issue. OR, you can simply add another tremolo spring. There are probably 3 in there now - I always add a 4th, because I like the bridge flush with the body. The spring is very easy to add.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

could I just tighten the screws that are attached to the tremelo?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

You could tighten them, but not too much. Don't remember exactly why, but a tech once told me that tightening them too much is a "no-no." An extra spring costs about $1 and is EASY to install.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'll probably try the extra spring.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep, heavier strings will pull the bridge forward. I never heard that about tightening the springs being a no-no, I have adjusted them many times.

A different gauge will usually throw your intonation out. Play a string open and then at the 12 fret (use a good tuner). If the fretted note is sharp (very common), move the saddle back and check again. If the fretted note is flat (rare), move the saddle forward. Loosen the strings slack before adjusting the saddles. Little hassle but your guitar will sound great with the intonation correct.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok I know it's been awhile since this post, but what do you think I should do. Add the extra spring? Or just adjust the screws?

PS- Just bought a new Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue 1x12 and it's awesome.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

just add the spring, not difficult, if it works it works.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

My vote is for an extra spring

ReplyQuote