Skip to content
So, there's this Ga...

Notifications
Clear all

So, there's this Garage Band two doors down....

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

They started this Spring and sounded awful. Over the course of the past few months, they've really come together. Mostly hard-core stuff. You know, the over driven crunch power-chord type of music. I've been tempted on at least one occasion to wander over and watch them a bit and check out their gear, but I'm not sure how receptive they'd be. I'm twice their age and not into their selection all that much. They did try Sweet Home Alabama the other night. Not too good, but it was tried anyhow. I certainly couldn't add anything of value unless they wanted to learn so old stuff, and even then I'd be limited.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

The younger generation couldn't care less about an "old guitar dude" (no offense to you RP)However my take is any musician young or old is receptive to anything they don't know, if approached correctly.

You should go down there and stay as long as you can when they are practicing. Get to know them. Maybe you'll get a chance to jam with them and who knows what from there. At least make friends. You never know when you may need to tell them to turn it down.....ROFL.....

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Try and get to know the one that lives 2 doors down - away from practice. The music will come up in conversation and be an opener for you to go and listen.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

As a "younger generation" guitarist, I think you should definitely approach them (while they're practicing or not). I wouldn't offer advice or criticism right away, but it sounds like they could sure use a helping hand (maybe to turn down the volume) and I'm sure you could offer a whole new dimension to their music.

The best way to make your own style is to mix the old with the new. There's nothing sweeter to the ear than a heavy tune with a sweet and smooth chorus/solo. They may not even be receptive to you, but at least you tried, right? :D

Nirv

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Nirvgas - I like your open mindedness!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

The younger generation couldn't care less about an "old guitar dude" (no offense to you RP)However my take is any musician young or old is receptive to anything they don't know, if approached correctly.

You should go down there and stay as long as you can when they are practicing. Get to know them. Maybe you'll get a chance to jam with them and who knows what from there. At least make friends. You never know when you may need to tell them to turn it down.....ROFL.....

I'm 23, the guys in my band are younger, and we actually jammed with my drummer's uncle who plays guitar and his friend who mic'd up a harmonica last week. It was fun.

That's probably an exception though. If the guys on your street are planning on being the next slipknot they might not really care about anything you have to say. You could always get some guys over in your garage and see if one of them comes over.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Nah, I was 20 once. Last thing I would have wanted to hear was someone with different musical tastes stopping by and running his mouth.

I will go over next time they fire things up, just to see what they got if nothing else. Offer a "sounds good" and go from there.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Offer a "sounds good" and go from there.

I am an older dude now, but i think any time you get a "sounds good" from anyone.. its makes you feel good. I am sure their only fear is your that old guy coming to tell them to "TURN THAT DOWN!!" and once you arent that guy.. things will be cool

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Two doors down

I thought they were called THREE Doors Down? :lol: :wink: :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

I think that most people would appreciate the compliment.they wanna know there work is paying off.-i dont think age matters-but then again im at an age where people are starting to call me sir and mr-and its p$#%%^ing me off a little :shock:

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Nah, I was 20 once. Last thing I would have wanted to hear was someone with different musical tastes stopping by and running his mouth.

I will go over next time they fire things up, just to see what they got if nothing else. Offer a "sounds good" and go from there.

If they were trying to play Sweet Home Alabama then they like classic rock which you like...now you have something in common. I know that the younger generations LOVE classic rock because there really aren't too many GOOD rock bands these days...and that's coming from those in the younger generation. They love the era those bands came from, where their shirts and go to concerts. Funny thing is that I am getting into bands like Nickelback & System of a Down!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I gotta hand it to them too. The kid was trying to do it all, not just the rhythm parts/shortcuts.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Funny, I have a garage band two doors down from me as well. They too like to play the hardcore stuff. They aren't very good, and now that I think about it I haven't heard them in a few months. Guess they gave up. Anyway, I had thought about venturing down there and saying "hello" and to see what they had. Still plan to if I hear them jamming again.

Even more funny, the empty house between us isn't empty anymore. A few months back a young couple moved in. A few weeks ago I heard faint drums coming from their house and then later saw the guy come out with a bass. I've waved a few times but still haven't talked with them yet either. Since I'm learning bass, I could probably learn a thing or two from him if I ever get to chatting with him.

After reading this thread, I really need to do that.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

Hey, never hesitate to make yourself known - go up to him, ask him if he plays, it'll be fine. Don't be nervous - it's no big thing, you'll lose more by not talking to him.

Same for you, RParker - don't hesitate, just do what feels right. you wanna talk to them? go talk to them. If I were in their position, I'd love to have a older guitar dude come and talk to me, or rock out with me, or whatever. If they aren't up to it, that's fine, i wouldn't take it personally...they'd be losing more than you would. Age matters not - it's all about the music man!

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member

I'm in the "younger generation" and all I have to say is that if an older guitar player would come try to talk to me (about guitar or music or something, mind you :? ), I would definitely really appreciate it. Can use all the help I can get. :D

ReplyQuote