Clear all

Solid body with Different Top

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@taintedreality)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering if a solid mahogany body with a maple top will sound different from a guitar that's just pure mahogany. Any insight on this?

- reality

(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

i 've never heard of that combo before....but it should sound a lot brighter.....but why not a solid spruce top?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Maybe because with Spruce you really have to work hard to dig out the bass sound.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@taintedreality)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm talking about electric guitars. PRS has quite a few maple-top guitars.

- reality

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I believe you get a brighter sound with a maple top, at the expense of a little sustain.

Best,

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I believe you get a brighter sound with a maple top, at the expense of a little sustain.

Best,

I believe It's more fruit forward with hints of leather and berries 8) 8) 8) Do you really think the"Laminate top" of an electric guitar will affect sound? That's just crazy talk!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

solid mahogany body with a maple top?

It has worked for Gibson's (and Epi's) Les Paul models all these years.
I guess it's a combination that works :wink:

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

All mahogany and maple-capped mahogany are the two fundamental types of body construction for a Les Paul, and of course many PRS models as well.

Alan is correct, and his info is considered fairly common knowledge among luthiers and experienced players. The maple capped -- not laminated, A&L -- Les Pauls usually have a slightly sharper attack (a bit brighter). All mahogany bodied LPs are slightly warmer and sustain slightly longer.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote