Solid-State or Valve??

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
I have a problem. I can get a Marshall MG50DFX combo for £175...But then I've also seen a used Peavey MX VTX valve amp for the same price, only it doesnt have all the features the MArshall has, nor is it as big :?

Just how much better are valve amps then? Is it worth sacrificing size and features for a valve amp, especially seeing how the marshall has that contour and FDD (i think its called fdd) to give an even beefier sound, which is important to me...
I need help!! :o

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Small valve amps are shooting up in price because people have discovered the sound they can get from them and the demand is higher than the supply, so I don't think anyone should buy a tube amp.
That way the prices will come down and I can afford the ones I want.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This type of question gets asked almost every week, and no one can truly answer it for you. I would go down and listen to both amps and see which you prefer.

I found two reviews on Harmony Central about this Peavey amp.

Peavey VTX MX-112 Reviews

I think it would be important to ask yourself how you are truly going to use either amp. If you are just going to play at home, I would go with the Marshall. Even though the Peavey appears small, it is quite loud. You will not really be able to crank it up and enjoy the true tube saturation at home. However, if you are into a Blues or Classic Rock tone, and if you think you might play out at Open Mics or gigs, then go with the Peavey.
If you are into modern distortions and effects the Marshall will probably suit you better. You will also be able to get cranked tones at low volume with the Marshall.

It is hard to describe the difference between a all tube and solid state or hybrid amp. It is just something you have to listen to. Many people cannot hear the difference. Solid state amps have really narrowed the gap and sound VERY close to tube tone today. But I would say a tube amp is warmer and fuller. I think it was Joe (Forrok Star) who said tube saturation is spongy sounding. I know what he is describing. To me, (just a personal opinion), I believe solid state amps sound harsh. But there are many who would disagree.

As I wrote earlier, give both amps a careful listen and consider how you are going to use the amp.

Let us know what you decide.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 kab
(@kab)
Eminent Member

You won't see tube amps going down in price anytime soon... fewer and fewer manufacturers are still doing all-tube designs... circuits and chips are less costly, thus being less costly for the consumer.

Few guitarists can really justify the cost of a Bogner, for example (sure, I'd love one, but am I really going to spend that? Not anytime soon)

Having said that, to me personally, tube amps are the way to go. They tend to be far more responsive to picking dynamics, and have a lot more clarity even under higher distortion levels, whereas (in my experience), solid state amps start to lose thier crispness.

A good example is my new pre-amp, the Mesa Boogie recording preamp. I'd gotten this a few days ago (fortunately, the shop I bought it from has a 7 day return policy), to replace a Boss GS-10 recording unit that I am simply not able to get what I want out of.

The Boss actually has a LOT more "raw" distortion power, but lacks the definition that the MB has, on both clean and distorted channels The MB also has no effects whatsoever, where the Boss has a whole slew of simulated effects, compressions, eq, etc etc, for less than 1/2 the cost of the MB.

Also, as Wes states, tube amps need to be pushed a bit to get "sweetness" out of them, unless you buy a power brake, or whatever. Even small amps will push enough volume to bother your housemates ;)

It all depends on how picky you are, I guess.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As Wes said, with the addition that if you decide that the SS amp is better in your condition you might look for other amps then the MG series. The effects are rather bare-bones with limited tweak options, the clean is only somewhat decent and the mild overdrives are near-nonexistent. The loud rock distortion is good to some, although I find it to be rather fuzzy & buzzy, and not exactly a pleasant tone. But that's more a matter of preference. The Marshall AVT series ain't much better. While I am not even remotely pro-tubes I do think that the only proper marshall amps are the tube ones.

If it is just for home usage, the Vox AD30VT is well within your budget, more then loud enough, far more versatile and overall much nicer sounding then any of the MG amps.

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

Tubes are expensive indeed, mabye not that expensive for guitar amps but for other hobbies like amatuer radio ( my call is KB1LQC) they are increadable. some of the tubes for amplifiers (Radio frequency not Audio frequency like guitar amps) can go as much as $900 each and they burn out like a light bulb!!! but it just goes to show you that tubes are less common than Solid State. There is an old expression in ham radio that goes like this "When you run with glass (Tubes), You run with class" which means that tubes have a better sound that s0olid state to most people its the users decision. Like my crate GFX 65 I think it sound better than certain tube amps yet there are different tube amps that are better than the crate. Its all what you think! Like I said before the price of tubes for guitar amps shouldnt be all that expensive like for radios. Good luck and hope I cleared something up!

Bstguitarist

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback. That Vox looks amazing after seeing all the features, the demo etc on their site! Seems more appealing to me than the others I was considering, thanks. I might end up saving for the 50 watt version.

Keep it comming

ReplyQuote