Clear all

some philosophical questions

20 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

what gets you into that creative zone? that area where your head clears out and you're just ridin the wave. where do you go with it? how do you keep the emotions of intense loathing for other people from interfering with your playing? what do you do to find some silence?

(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I find guitar playing becomes a lot more fun and creative when there's no school to think about. You don't have to worry about homework and grades and everything comes so much easier when not worrying about things.

I wouldn't mind having more time home by myself and not be disturbed or disturbing others :( .

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

what gets you into that creative zone? that area where your head clears out and you're just ridin the wave. where do you go with it? how do you keep the emotions of intense loathing for other people from interfering with your playing? what do you do to find some silence?

For me, it's prayer...I can tell a difference in my practice time when I pray to God about the days events (I practice at night) before I practice. It helps me to focus and get things back into perspective. I give it all over to Him and then I can practice with a clear, focused session... 8)

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

how do you keep the emotions of intense loathing for other people from interfering with your playing?

You can use those emotions, too! I wrote one of the best songs I've ever written when I was so angry at someone that I was just seething and needed an outlet, but realized that punching someone or something was probably not the way to go, so I wrote a song! It was really quite cathartic! It released all of that emotion, made me think about the circumstances that got me into that state and allowed me to say the things that I truly felt that, if I hadn't sat down to write the song, would have bothered me LONG after I had gotten it out of my system BY writing the song.

IMHO, if you're in an emotionally charged state, whether it's being seething mad, or madly in love, or questioning (yourself or someone else or something else), or any other great emotion, writing is a wonderful outlet. There's potential for great songs in great emotions.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i think the answer is that you have to make the silence for yourself. most of the time when i get home from work i'm far too tired to do anything. i know why people become couch potatoes. but if this is something you want to do just pick up your guitar and do something with it every day. what you do every day may not be the greatest, but it's important to do something.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

well, i am not religious, i play a lot, and if i try to "use those emotions", they just intensify.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

There's a huge hill at the top of my road, the highest point in my town. If it's a nice day and I don't have to go to work, I'll strap my acoustic to my back, hike up the hill, and just look out at the entire town. It's so quiet and distant, so relaxing.
After 5 minutes I can just.....play, and not think about anything else.

A 'location muse' like nothing else I've found.

Find a place where you can relax too. Even if it's just your garden, your bedroom, garage etc.

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Pete, that is a super idea, and I wasn't even looking for inspiration. I'm going to try the hill across the street sometime this summer.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@mhill54)
Eminent Member

Just listen to some journey man, soothes the soul it does. :)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Eh, not every soul...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Eh, not every soul...

Don't stop ....believin'....whoa whoa..... :wink: (sorry, couldn't help myself)

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member

hiya

I find that when i'm paying attention to every note that i'm playing .. also subconciously thinking about what i'm gonna do next ....
i genrerally play satisfactoraly

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Pretty good question.

I don't think I am especially creative. I have had a few brief periods in my life where I write a bunch of songs. I think they're pretty good. But then I go years with nothing. Then I'll have another very brief period where I write a bunch more songs. For me, it seems that hardship or heartbreak seems to inspire me to write. I am generally a very happy, positive, and upbeat person, so it's hard for me to write in this state of mind. How can you sing the Blues when you're happy? :D

So, I guess it's kind of good, because the creative moments come at a heavy cost.

I never loathe or hate people, but they do annoy the hell out of me. I am not very tolerate of others. I know this is wrong, but it's hard to change. People who block the entire aisle at a supermarket, or sit at a green light putting on makeup, these types of things irritate me. I remember getting behind someone at a fast food take-out that must have been ordering enough food to feed a pro football team. :evil:

But I try to remind myself that we are all people. We are all about the same. I make mistakes too, so I try to remember this.

Still hate those lottery players who take 10 minutes picking different games when you are trying to get to work on time. :roll:

I get a lot of peace at work. I work at a place that really gives you a heavy work load. Most people might hate this, but I like it. Just tell me what needs to get done and leave me alone. So I enjoy working hard. I don't need supervision or someone telling me how to get the job done. I enjoy working by myself. Working hard relieves lots of stress. It is super easy to sleep at night when you are genuinely tired. Turn out the lights and listen to the quiet. ZZZZZZZ.....

I do like nature and scenery too. I live in a beautful area. I like to go up on mountain tops and look off far in the distance. Beautiful and relaxing. I also love astronomy, sometimes I'll drive way out in the country with my telescope and look at all the stars. Breathtaking.

When playing guitar I just like to let go. I get into the music, it can be mesmerizing, almost hypnotic. I lose my inhibitions and move around a lot. When soloing I just listen to the sounds, sometimes it's hard to believe I am the one actually making these sounds. Man, that is good stuff. I like to crank my amp when possible, to where the amp is going wild. That is really when I play my best. If I try to think about my playing I don't play as well. So I have learned to just let go and not worry about it. Sometimes I am not too happy with what I play, but often I can play some pretty amazing stuff.

Don't know if I've answered your question or not.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I guess I'm just one of those people, as soon as I pick up a guitar, the rest of the world is irrelevant....sometimes I think "I'll just have e five-minute strum" and when I come back down to earth, an hour - or even two - has passed....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I am not very tolerate of others. I know this is wrong, but it's hard to change. People who block the entire aisle at a supermarket, or sit at a green light putting on makeup, these types of things irritate me.
I have no time for this kind of person. I don't think that that's particularly wrong either - tolerance for people who live in their own little bubble is over-rated in my book :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2