Skip to content
SOS! I'm having fre...

Notifications
Clear all

SOS! I'm having frequent antacid moments...(LONG!)

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am on a very major spree and my time is limited (says my hubby, who has been beyond generous and patient so far). So here are some of my "problems" (the fun kind):

1) Top of my list problem: I bought a Gretsch 5120 after having bought an Ibanez Artcore (which is cheaper, easier for me to play, and sounds and looks good to me). I'm actually trying to like the Gretsch at this point. I first bought a black one, returned it for orange (beautiful, I now think), changed strings (gauge, brand and all)...and am still not "getting" the major 5120 attraction! I am "allowed" to keep both guitars (says hubby), so I'm definitely keeping the Artcore (silver sparkle!). I want to try out a different type of Gretsch (the 5129, Electromatic Pro Jet, even Corvette...nothing above $1000). I'll be trying the 5129 (red w/DeArmond 2000 single coils) in about a week. Not more than a few days left to switch from the 5120. I honestly believe at this point that I just want to own a Gretsch for the sake of the name. Not that they're bad by any means! They just may not be for me. I also want that Bigsby name on a guitar that I own. Somehow, I think that some of you may understand this, so all feedback is welcome! Now that I love the orange color of the 5120 (not available in other cheaper models), I've added a new dimension to my problems. :shock: If I could switch out pups and all that junk, I'd be in great shape. However, I'm lucky to change my own strings. But I want a Gretsch w/Bigsby!!! (Even if it's not orange...)

2) Also new is a Schecter C-1 Classic in trans blue. I've been wanting a blue guitar and the specs on this one more than fit the bill. However, when I saw the blue in person I was very disappointed. It's not the same bright quilt blue as the Schecter website portrays for this model. It's more of a royal blue or even dark teal (for lack of a better description). It's very similar to the color of a Yamaha Royal Blue AES620 if you're familiar with that. But the finish (IMHO) isn't as "quilty" looking as the Yamaha (which I also purchased in order to compare...it's going back although it's very nice for the $500 pricetag). Also, and of far more concern to me, the Tone knob on the C-1 is for the most part either OFF or ON. There's almost no sweep which I find annoying and which concerns me re: overall quality of this guitar. It feels great, sounds great (SD JB and Jazz pups), looks good (the vine-of-life thing isn't really exactly "me" and the color is a bit dark as described above, but it's certainly not unattractive), but I want it to last! I own 2 other Schecters (a trans red C/SH-1 before the piezo thing and a new C-1 Hellraiser in black cherry) and they seem fine. I know that this Tone knob prob is a common one as I've read about it online several times re: the C-1 Classic. I contacted Schecter and they're sending me a new pot (as they're obviously aware of the problem), but I'll have to pay to have it switched out if I decide to keep the C-1 Classic (likely).

3) My Fender Blues Jr. started to crackle the other day and I freaked out. It's my first tube amp. I've had it only since last September or October, but took it in to have the tubes (and everything else) checked. As with an auto problem, the amp was JUST FINE at the store. I brought it home and you know what happened. It started up again. As an aside, I moved it to a slightly different location in the room and as of this writing it seems fine. However...in the meantime, I started browsing for other Fender tube amps and thinking that Christmas is coming up... :roll:

Yep. I've got it bad. And that ain't good. In the past month or so, my hubby (this is all his fault, by the way... :wink:) has allowed me to buy A) a black cherry Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (EMG's are fun!), B) a silver sparkle Ibanez Artcore, C) a Schecter C-1 Classic in so-called trans blue, and D) a black Gretsch 5120 (which changed to a lovely orange as if by magic). And I'm having problems??? Yes, but I don't expect any sympathy. I expect that at least some of you will understand the dilemma and possibly write about some of your own such troubles.

All Gretsch opinions/experiences, etc. will be especially appreciated and welcomed enthusiastically! Some of you may wonder why I don't just take 'em all back and buy ONE high quality guitar. I guess I'm a woman of quantity rather than quality. I'm a collector (i. e., addict). Plus, I think it's too late for the Hellraiser and the Artcore. :D

The good news (other than 4 brand new guitars): I used to do this with perfumes, handbags, etc. The bad news: you all wouldn't have to read this if I were still into all that.

I already own more guitars than I deserve (these are only recent acquisitions), but please be kind. I know I'm spoiled and I'm grateful for it. I hope that counts for something. Is anyone still out there??? :oops: TIA if you're still with me!

Love and Peace or Else,
CC