Clear all

... Sound

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Okay, this is my plan for my SX strat copy. After I put some new pick-ups in it from GFS, I am going to string it up in Nashville Tuning. I'd rather do it with a Tele style guitar, but don't have the cash to buy a tele. My thinking is to not do this string set on a hum-bucker equipped guitar. Any thoughts or suggestions?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Which pups?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Here's a thought... get that Tele! :lol: Rondo has some pretty nice ones, for not much $$$!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, due to the nature of the pickups (those being a calibrated set of lil' killers) I might should get this SX tele
http://www.rondomusic.com/product718.html I would think the lil' killers would be too hot to benefit from the Nashville tuning. On the other hand I may try it anyway while I try to spare the cash for another guitar.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I would think the lil' killers would be too hot to benefit from the Nashville tuning.

Well, unless you're going for a fat, high-gain Nashville tuning sound ... I agree - those are not the pups I'd use for that. Get the Tele!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, I do like fat, high gain sounds. I just have never used the traditional Nashville tuning, I am sure I have heard it, just never realized I was hearing it. So, if I did experiment with a gain version, it would be new to me. Thus, I'll probably do it anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The E A D and G strings are smaller gauges and tuned an octave higher than normal; the B and e are normal.

It's like the thin strings on a 12er.

http://www.wikihow.com/Tune-Your-Guitar-to-Nashville-Tuning

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This is traditional:

The gauges for a medium set would be .012, .016, .010, .014, .020, .030 high to low.
A light set would be .010, .014, .009, .012, .018, .027 high to low.
All strings are unwound except for the low E which is wound.
You can use an electronic tuner and tune it just like you would a regular strung guitar the only difference is that the last four strings will be an octave higher than a normal 6 string.
This from http://www.guitartips.addr.com/

The set of strings I will use due to what I have laying around is: 11, 14, 10, 13, 22, 30. If I like that on the SX strat, I may get a "real" set for the tele I end up getting.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

97reb, nice link.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote