Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.9 K Views
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

!@&#!!!!%$#@#!!!

I've been reading this thread and I'm getting curious, then I did an inventory of what I have, six electrics, six acoustics!

Then I started looking at what I could do without.....

I also have eight cars, two garages, one shop, three ex-wives, six kids, one grand child and a wife.....(#4)

All but the present day wife and granddaughter are being put up on E-Bay tomorrow...... :wink: (Other than my guitars!)

And if I come home with another guitar, I MIGHT be put on E-Bay by my wife! :shock:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Updated.

Update:

The Dali
Margaret
Bish
Wes
Slejhamer
Sdolsay
Duffmaster
U2Bono269
Banre
Crank'n'Jam
dhutson
Steeder
Baldwin
DennisF6
Hudman
Nick
CSmart01
Dagwood
Boxboy
Vink

Ok. I think I know what I'm going to do for mods... thanks to Slejhamer for his suggestion... I'm going to collage the pickguard with Guinness beer labels, and collage the headstock as well. Both will have copious amounts of lacquer applied to form a smooth surface. I'm going to upgrade the bridge pup with a cream Bill Lawrence L510 and the neck with a GFS overwound single. Both pickup updates are really more cosmetic (cream) than substantive.

I'll also be updating the tuners with either Sperzel locking or Grover - I have them lying around, I just need to see which set fits without too much modification. I think at that point I should be good.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I also have eight cars, two garages, one shop, three ex-wives, six kids, one grand child and a wife.....(#4)

I'm going to start calling you the "Juggler" - that's quite a bit going on!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ok. I think I know what I'm going to do for mods... thanks to Slejhamer for his suggestion... I'm going to collage the pickguard with Guinness beer labels, and collage the headstock as well. Both will have copious amounts of lacquer applied to form a smooth surface. I'm going to upgrade the bridge pup with a cream Bill Lawrence L510 and the neck with a GFS overwound single. Both pickup updates are really more cosmetic (cream) than substantive.

Ooh, you'll need to find a way to use a tap as a strap button!!! That'd be over the top! 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Updated.

Update:

The Dali
Margaret
Bish
Wes
Slejhamer
Sdolsay
Duffmaster
U2Bono269
Banre
Crank'n'Jam
dhutson
Steeder
Baldwin
DennisF6
Hudman
Nick
CSmart01
Dagwood
Boxboy
Vink

+1: guilty as well

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Updated.

Update:

The Dali
Margaret
Bish
Wes
Slejhamer
Sdolsay
Duffmaster
U2Bono269
Banre
Crank'n'Jam
dhutson
Steeder
Baldwin
DennisF6
Hudman
Nick
CSmart01
Dagwood
Boxboy
Vink

+1: guilty as well

Same... In like a week when it gets here.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I've been playing mine substantially this past week and have to agree with Wes. This little guitar rocks just how it is.

I, too, found that the roughness of the frets goes away with playing it. I may not have to dress the frets at all.

I also found some nice clean tones with my Peavey amp and this great little '51.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've been playing mine substantially this past week and have to agree with Wes. This little guitar rocks just how it is.

I, too, found that the roughness of the frets goes away with playing it. I may not have to dress the frets at all.

I also found some nice clean tones with my Peavey amp and this great little '51.
The fret edges on both of mine are pretty good -- not sharp or rough. Do you mean the top (playing) surface of the frets? That could use a bit of polishing with 00000 steel wool, but isn't critical.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Quick update- I just took this thing apart to start my mods, and am I EVER IMPRESSED.

The neck pocket is about as tight as I've ever seen. The finish under the pickguard is as nice as the rest of the guitar. AND - AND - there is no open routes! When you take off the pickguard the guitar looks like a superstrat. With the exception of the 8 small pickguard screw holes, the guitar looks like it came without a guard! Really sweet.

Now I have to figure out if I modify this thing with a pickguard, modify the pickguard only, or modify this and leave the pickguard off altogether.

Anyway, I'll try and post some pics later for those of you who haven't yet taken yours apart.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep, the pickguard isn't attached to anything, and you don't even have to take off the strings, just slide it underneath. I also took mine off to see if I could raise the neck pickup slightly. Looks like you would have to put a little spacer under it.

And you are correct, no routing, this guitar looks pretty good without the pickguard. 8)

Greg- Yeah, I thought the frets were very good on mine. You could feel them ever so slightly if you were really looking for it, but nothing that wouldn't wear down with normal play in a week or two. I don't think I would have even noticed if others hadn't mentioned it. Already all my frets feel smooth. It is the high E side of the neck people seem to find a little burring.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Greg,

It is the edges of the frets. More noticable on the high E side.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So - I'm curious, this guitar hasn't made it over this side of the pond - no-one knows a thing about it.....so how does it compare to the Squier Strat or the Squier Tele?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Somebody else in stirrin the pot! I think this thread should be locked down! save the rest of our souls from eternal damnation (g)
Robbie

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Do you mean the top (playing) surface of the frets? That could use a bit of polishing with 00000 steel wool, but isn't critical.

Greg, That's what I find in mine .. when I try to bend on the high B and E strings, it "scrapes" a little. I think this is from the top surface. Funny thing is, I can't really feel the roughness when I pass my finger over the fret, but the string feels it.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

After adjusting the truss rods and intonation on mine, I noticed both suffered a slight mechanical rattle - almost like fret buzz -- on most notes. Found that the bridge height adjustment screws may not both be seated on the bridge plate for some saddles. Careful adjustments to seat the loose hex nuts fixed this. Locktite might be required to do this right.

Considering some improvements:

I am stongly tempted to tung oil or satin lacquer the necks. As Wes notes, these seem very vulnerable to hand grime as delivered. I may also pull the pick guard off the 'burst version, because the wood looks (surprisingly) quite nice. The string trees and nuts could do with an upgrade. Probably remove the Squier name at the same time. Trying to decide whether to do a Harley Davidson motif on the black '51 or my distressed black Saga Tele.

I like the pups as they came. They make this guitar a bit unique tonally as compared to my other half dozen or so electrics, including the Strat and Tele types. I may experiment with one of the two '51s, but will keep the other pretty close to as purchased.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 51