Clear all

Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.9 K Views
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I really liked those mods, but I think the pickups on this guitar sound pretty great. I can really get tight distortion with the humbucker, and it can handle lots of low end. Pretty darn heavy sounding. And the neck pickup sounds great clean in my opinion, very pretty and chimey, great Strat tone.

This is a cult guitar, gotta admit I got swept up in it too. But it really is a very unique and great sounding guitar, and plays great too. I am very tempted to get another. In a few weeks you won't be able to get one anywhere, and the price is going to really jump up. This guitar may be worth a lot of bucks someday. I am thinking that mods might decrease the value.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I'm glad I got caught up in the hype as well. I've been playing nothing but the 51 since I got it and I love it. The pups are great! Wouldn't change them even if I had something else to put in there.

Great little guitar!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@hudman)
Eminent Member

I really liked those mods, but I think the pickups on this guitar sound pretty great. I can really get tight distortion with the humbucker, and it can handle lots of low end. Pretty darn heavy sounding. And the neck pickup sounds great clean in my opinion, very pretty and chimey, great Strat tone.

This is a cult guitar, gotta admit I got swept up in it too. But it really is a very unique and great sounding guitar, and plays great too. I am very tempted to get another. In a few weeks you won't be able to get one anywhere, and the price is going to really jump up. This guitar may be worth a lot of bucks someday. I am thinking that mods might decrease the value.

All the mods can be reversed. Although, I highly doubt the '51's will be collector items.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

You guys ALMOST got me to pull the trigger on one of these babies, but quite unlike me, I have resisted the GAS! The fact is, I already have enough guitars! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have acquired MANY guitars over the years and had about 15 of them at the start of the year! Then I realized that I would rather have just a few really nice guitars versus many mid level guitars. I had so many, I couldn't play them all!

So now I have a beautiful American Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard and Yamaha FG730S acoustic, all bought this year with cash from selling my collection! So, no more new guitars for me. I still have a few more guitars to sell.

I am also very happy with my Crate Palomino amp and my effects pedal setup, so I guess I will not be spending any money on gear anytime soon!! :shock: :shock:

(what am I going to do with the money I save not buying gear? I need another, expensive hobby!!)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I'm sure more of you have gotten yours by now. Any thoughts?

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Crank-n-Jam wrote: I'm sure more of you have gotten yours by now. Any thoughts?

Got mine. :D

Only have gotten to play it once, because it's in hiding for now....."What is THAT?! ANOTHER guitar?!" If ya know what I mean...... :?

The little I've gotten to play it, I really like it. Has a very different sound than my Strat, which is what I wanted.

Don't know too much about the technical side of things, but there don't appear to be any flaws in the finish (black), the knobs work and the tuners tune.

The neck is ever so slightly narrower and the strings are just a hair closer together than on my Strat, which surprised me. Love the contoured body, same as my Strat.

I think it's a great guitar for a hundred bucks.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Got mine last week, I don't have to hide it, my Wife got it for me as an early Xmas present :) the finish is flawless, I love the sound of it, very solid guitar, the neck is very nice, I like the unfinished feel of it.

The only thing I don't like is the bridge, it's way to hard to change the strings, so I ordered a new bridge from GFS, thats the only change I'll be making on it, good guitar and a steal for $99.

Bridge:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/topmohabrfit.html

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member

A little late but who cares. I've had mine for a few months now. Great guitar, glad I bought one. :D

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I haven't played any other guitar since I got this one. My new GFS bridge should be here TODAY, the original one makes too much noise. The tuners are pretty good so I have decided to leave them on there for now. The pickups: the HB will likely stay for a while, I am still trying to decide on a replacement for the SC. I've changed my mind so many times on this, I went from one of the CHina pickups I have to buying a GFS to getting a Hot Alnico 3 off ebay. For now I think I will get a hot alnico 3 from an American Strat. Does anyone have any experience with this pickup or any other PU advice for this Guitar.

Christmas came early this year!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I've changed my mind so many times on this, I went from one of the CHina pickups I have to buying a GFS to getting a Hot Alnico 3 off ebay. For now I think I will get a hot alnico 3 from an American Strat. Does anyone have any experience with this pickup or any other PU advice for this Guitar.

Keep in mind the stock neck pup has fairly low output, maybe less than 4k. I have the 5.25k GFS Alnico strat pup ($18 ) and it's a big improvement in output level and clarity. A "hot" alnico neck pup might not match well with the stock bridge pup's output, though you can install height adjustment screws and play with the height. Also you will most likely have to enlarge the pickguard hole slightly to fit a standard strat pup.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

All the mods can be reversed. Although, I highly doubt the '51's will be collector items.

I have to disagree here. I think this guitar is going to be highly prized. I think as soon as you see them disappear from the market you will see prices on this guitar jump on E-Bay.

Time will tell.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Why would they dissapear?

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

We really don't know, but it seems they are being discontinued. Musiciansfriend is gonna stop selling them, and guitar center doesn't carry them anymore.

The rumor is it was just a test guitar for a fender of higher quality and price tag.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Add me to the roll call .. after my guitar class (which is at the music store) last night, I came home with a burst 51 that I didn't need and didn't want to buy 8)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Couple of days ago I got around to playing my '51 with my EVJ and wow nice tone. My new bridge came in but I haven't had a chance to install it yet, really looking forward to that.

VINK,

Mine is a burst too and I didn't need it but I REALLY wanted it. Am still happy with my decision.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 51