Clear all

Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.9 K Views
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I bought a bunch of strings when MF was having a sale. I have about 20 or so sets of D'Addario .009-.042 strings. So my vote HAS to go to them. I've used these strings since I started, no complaints so far.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

not really much of a fan of the 51's so i won't be getting one any time soon.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

not really much of a fan of the 51's so i won't be getting one any time soon.
thanks for the heads up on that, now we can all get some sleep finally :roll:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

I sent the hubby down to the local music shop to get an amp last night, knowing that the '51 would be delivered soon. (Thanks for the Roland Micro-cube recommendation, Jason. The shop guys thought it a good one for our needs, too.) UPS drove up at 7:00pm with the guitar. Never having played anything electric, I didn't realize that it wouldn't come with a cord. :oops: And guess what time the shop closes? 7:00pm. So I haven't been able to try it and will have to wait til the shop opens this morning to get a cord. I feel like such a noob! :lol:

This is really supposed to be for my son, but he's away for the weekend so until he comes home, it's mine. :)

Melisa

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I've read a review somewhere about pure nickel strings, it was very positive. Also, I think that the '51 is quite a bright guitar, and having some slightly less bring strings would be a good idea. But I am not sure if you mean these strings are less bright than regular nickel-steel strings, or they are less bright than other pure nickel strings .. can you please clarify? Thanks!

Less bright than regular nickel-steels, certainly.

And in my opinion a better sound than the other pure-nickel set I tried, which was by Ernie Ball. Possibly the round core of the DRs makes a difference - the sound seems more full, and there's slightly less tension in the strings as well.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I sent the hubby down to the local music shop to get an amp last night, knowing that the '51 would be delivered soon. (Thanks for the Roland Micro-cube recommendation, Jason. The shop guys thought it a good one for our needs, too.) UPS drove up at 7:00pm with the guitar. Never having played anything electric, I didn't realize that it wouldn't come with a cord. :oops: And guess what time the shop closes? 7:00pm. So I haven't been able to try it and will have to wait til the shop opens this morning to get a cord. I feel like such a noob! :lol:

This is really supposed to be for my son, but he's away for the weekend so until he comes home, it's mine. :)

Melisa

Ha, that's classic. I'm ROFL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sad but true, even tho most guitars do come with a cord. That would just figure on the '51. Blame it on the sales guy that sold your hubby the cube. He should have accessorized the heck out of him. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Less bright than regular nickel-steels, certainly.

And in my opinion a better sound than the other pure-nickel set I tried, which was by Ernie Ball.
OK, thanks.. I will pick up a set for the next string change and try them out. Have to wear these down a little bit at least :-)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I ordered some of the DR Pure Blues strings from Musician's Friend--a set of 9's, a set of 10's (for my Strat, most likely) and a hybrid set for the '51.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I just took advantage of GC's sale of DHS "FATTY's" Box of 10 for $19.95.

I got some 10's... I don't and won't play 9's anymore.

Anyhoo I haven't tried these yet...as I'm usually a D'Addy or Ernie user.

But for $2 bucks a set.. can't go wrong...(Shrug)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Wow, this thread has REALLY grown...it's OK for you lucky people who live in the USA, $99 is really PEANUTS....Misanthrope said to me a couple of weeks ago, the cheapest Squier 51 he's seen was £125.....that's about $240......

There are people who own Strats and LP's who love this guitar.....

Man, you guys over there don't know how lucky you are - I saw a 2nd hand Squier Tele advertised in a local shop this week, for £135.....that's about $250 for a USED Squier Tele....

$99 - £125 in England - I'd really HATE to see how much they're going for in Australia.....and the weird thing is, I'm a big fan of Squier guitars - wouldn't swap my Squier Tele for a Fender Tele - and though the Squier 51 may be a good sounding guitar, to me it looks a PLUG-UGLY guitar....I really don't like the Strat-ish body with the Tele-ish headstock....just looks all wrong.....and I don't like the pick-guard shape..... but that's just my opinion, seems like a fair few of you disagree!!!!

If you've got one, and like it, feel free to totally ignore me.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Hey Vic,
I am awaiting delivery of a black '51 here in Sydney Australia, it cost me $279.00 Australian....(going price was $349.00 but I bargained a bit..)

Cheers

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Good bartering skills there Keith....trouble is, I haven't a clue as to Aussie dollars - any idea how it translates to £English or $US?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I have heard that guitars and equipment in general is more expensive outside the US. I am really not sure why. For example, Australia is much closer to Indonesia, where my Squier 51 was made - so the shipping costs can't be the reason that a 51 costs more there.

I am not complaining, but it seems odd to me how expensive things are for you guys/gals outside the US. Does anyone know why this is?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

$250 for a used Squier Tele seems about right. I played $300 for my Strat, new. Things are a bit more expensive but not too bad. An Epiphone Explorer runs about $700 in Canada. A Gibson Explorer is $1,195. I've noticed the more expensive the guitar, the more the price difference shrinks.

I'm with Vic, the guitar is ugly. Plus I'm not much of an impulse buyer. To me, $99 guitar is only a steal if it's a guitar I want. That and I don't like single coils.

But if you have this guitar and love it, all the power to you.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I have heard that guitars and equipment in general is more expensive outside the US. I am really not sure why. For example, Australia is much closer to Indonesia, where my Squier 51 was made - so the shipping costs can't be the reason that a 51 costs more there.

I am not complaining, but it seems odd to me how expensive things are for you guys/gals outside the US. Does anyone know why this is?

CFB, I'm guessing the guitars get made and shipped back to the USA. Then they get shipped (again) back to a country close to their manufacturing?
I know early on I realized ebay was a disaster for a Canadian buyer. The prices, bid on worldwide, were way out of whack with what I'd have to pay locally.
The everyday retail price for a new Godin LG, HB or P90 (1/2 a block up the street at Long & McQuade, Canada's GC) is 600 CAN. Here's a few off today's ebay:
Godin LG SP90 Seymour Duncan P/UP C $748.74
Godin LG SP90 Seymour Duncan P/UPC $748.74
Godin LG P-90 GoldC $704.00
GODIN LG Electric Guitar with Humbuckers Trans RedC $907.54

Don

ReplyQuote
Page 26 / 51