Clear all

Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.8 K Views
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Please move this if it doesn't belong...but I'm waiting for my Sunburst to arrive and I must say that the pickguard is the one thing I don't like about it. I thought I saw a post perhaps from Dali about it being modified a bit so it didn't take up so much area. A minor thing yes, but can anyone recommend either a different colored one or one that doesn't take up so much space? Thanks! <3

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Guitarfettish is supposed to have some pick guards for the 51 this month. I don't like the hugeness of the white pickguard on my black guitar either, so I am ordering a black one when they come out so it isn't so noticeable. Dali Lima posted a pick of them further back in this thread. Page 20-something I think.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

Ah thats where it is. I'm going to check out that link too, thanks Cowgirl!

ReplyQuote
(@barryo)
Eminent Member

Newbie poster here.

All I wanted to do was search Google for a guitar forum that has 'over 40' folks like myself.
So, the search takes me to this site, and then this thread... 30 minutes later I'm ordering a black Squire 51.
I do not need another guitar(I've already collected several electrics over the years, and I just got a nice little black Takamine electric/acoustic over the holidays)
But, when I saw a photo of a modded 'black on black' 51 (along with photos in this thread, like the Guinness mod and others) , I couldn't get my credit card out fast enough.
So, it looks like I'll also be ordering the black aftermarket pickguard when it becomes available.

Oh well, so much for new year's resolutions :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Muahahaha, welcome to the Squire 51 cult, BarryO. Resistence is futile.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@barryo)
Eminent Member

Muahahaha, welcome to the Squire 51 cult, BarryO. Resistence is futile.
Thanks. I now realize that I have been assimilated.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Dali,

THanks for reminding about your pickups. I am still thinking about getting those Locking Tuners from GFS. Can't seem to commit myself. I think I'm just stuck on the pup decision and want to order everything at once.

BarryO,

This thread has a lot of believers in it. It sure made a believer out of me. I think you will get a kick out of your new 51.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

BarryO~
Welcome to the Squier "over 50 club", and GN,

Can't wait to pay down my credit cards a bit to make room for one of those black bridges and maybe a set of black locking tuners as well :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Have we talked about string gauge for the '51's in the 25+ pages of posts on this thread?

I have the factory strings on my '51, 9's I'm sure.

Debating about whether to move to heavier strings on it. My Strat has 10's on it and my PRS has 9's.

Also wondering what brand of strings to go with.

Since I've not changed my own strings on my electrics yet, would it be easier to try it first on the '51 with the fixed bridge, than the Strat?

Any suggestions?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@barryo)
Eminent Member

BarryO~
Welcome to the Squier "over 50 club", and GN,
Can't wait to pay down my credit cards a bit to make room for one of those black bridges and maybe a set of black locking tuners as well :wink:
Thanks for the welcome. I'd sure like to see a pic when you're finished with the mods.

Now I'm thinking about ordering a blonde one for my 83 yo father...figure I might swap the pickguard with the black 51.
My goal for this year was to work on improving my (somewhat limited) skills and not worry about buying new gear...I am such a tool.

Vanzandt38,

I've read good reviews pretty much across the board on this thing, that's fairly unusual for a guitar at this pricepoint.
I guess you can't go wrong for $99.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Hi Margaret,

I really like the DR "Pure Blues" nickel strings - pure nickel windings on a round core, not nickel-plated steel over a hex core like most "nickel" strings." They have a big, warm bluesy tone that sounds great on the '51, in my opinion.

They are not as bright as most other nickel strings either - I definitely noticed a difference between these and the GHS Boomers I had on previously.

I'm using the hybrid "Lite-n-Heavy" set, 9-46. Skinny strings from a 9-gauge set, fat strings from a 10-gauge. Very easy to bend while giving plenty of bottom end.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member

For strings ive been using those for some time so i put some of the 10 gauge on my 51 it sounds great but it feel a little to thick for my fingers

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Hi Margaret,

I really like the DR "Pure Blues" nickel strings - pure nickel windings on a round core, not nickel-plated steel over a hex core like most "nickel" strings." They have a big, warm bluesy tone that sounds great on the '51, in my opinion.

They are not as bright as most other nickel strings either - I definitely noticed a difference between these and the GHS Boomers I had on previously.

I've read a review somewhere about pure nickel strings, it was very positive. Also, I think that the '51 is quite a bright guitar, and having some slightly less bring strings would be a good idea. But I am not sure if you mean these strings are less bright than regular nickel-steel strings, or they are less bright than other pure nickel strings .. can you please clarify? Thanks!

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

DR just makes good strings. I've still got 1 set of the Dimebag Darrel strings they had a while back, and I'm using the Pure Blues right now on my Washburn. I've got bullets on my Strat, but I think I'm going to try something new on it pretty soon.

In other news, my 51 just got here. I love it through my EVJ. I'm going to be modding it, but haven't decided what I'm going to do to it yet.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Newbie poster here.

All I wanted to do was search Google for a guitar forum that has 'over 40' folks like myself.
So, the search takes me to this site, and then this thread... 30 minutes later I'm ordering a black Squire 51.
I do not need another guitar(I've already collected several electrics over the years, and I just got a nice little black Takamine electric/acoustic over the holidays)
But, when I saw a photo of a modded 'black on black' 51 (along with photos in this thread, like the Guinness mod and others) , I couldn't get my credit card out fast enough.
So, it looks like I'll also be ordering the black aftermarket pickguard when it becomes available.

Oh well, so much for new year's resolutions :shock:

OMG that is too funny. WTG BarryO :D

Welcome to the family. Now have you thought about a coordinating amp/strap/cord/tuner ensemble to complete the onset of this most recent GAS ATTACK?? :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 25 / 51