Clear all

Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.8 K Views
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Just loosening the nut usually cracks it off and the 51 probably has a poly finish so nail polish remover won't affect it.

See if there is a lock nut on the jack also, that will help.

Loctite usually comes in two flavors, Blue is semi permanent and can be removed with some force. Red is permanent and will come off with the application of heat, not a good thing for a guitar.

Nail polish is a good sub for loctite because there's little chance of damage, readily available and besides comes in cool colors! :lol:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Just loosening the nut usually cracks it off and the 51 probably has a poly finish so nail polish remover won't affect it.

See if there is a lock nut on the jack also, that will help.

Loctite usually comes in two flavors, Blue is semi permanent and can be removed with some force. Red is permanent and will come off with the application of heat, not a good thing for a guitar.

Nail polish is a good sub for loctite because there's little chance of damage, readily available and besides comes in cool colors! :lol:
Thx, Racetruck.

I believe my 16-year-old has some funky colors of polish from which to choose. :lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@homestar_kevin)
Eminent Member

IT JUST CAMEEE!

Now I really really want guitarfetish to give us some black pickguards to buy :D :D :D

Kevin

I can't wait for someone to say something worth quoting here...

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

Got my '51 from UPS today. I'm absolutely blown away by this thing. This thing sounds great for $99! All I did was give it a quick tune and peeled all the stickers off and I'm playing. Action is ok, intonation is good enough (probably could use a bit of tweaking), shape feels great in my hands. Overall I'm quite impressed.

I got the vintage blonde with black pickguard. It's a sharp looking guitar. The bridge doesn't inspire a lot of confidence as it looks a little tacked on compared to the string through body assembly of my tele, but honestly for $99 this thing is so worth the money. Best entry level guitar IMO.

Thanks to GN for bringing this to my attention. Rock on everybody.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Gotta LOVE that vintage blonde! Got mine a month or so ago, and it has made its way onto my "heavy rotation" guitar list! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

After about 45 minutes on the '51 I think I got a pretty good impression of it now. It's a dirty little guitar. It's all bright and loud and the sound just kinda pops right out it. I'm loving it, it's so rock and roll through my Marshall. My Tele is a lot bassier, warmer, and has gobs of fabulous tone compared to this '51, but this '51 just makes grin when romping around it. What a fun guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Put me on the list. I ordered mine (vintage blonde) last night.

'51slinger

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

A picture of my finished Guinness '51:

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Dali,

You probably already answered this question but what pickups did you decide on for you 51.

Your 51 has some cool buddies.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I went with the stock bridge humbucker - which I think is pretty cool - and a Fender USA Alnico 3.
Also, I used the Wilkinson black locking tuners from GFS, and they are pretty nice! The strings lock in because you wrap them through two holes in the post, a nice easy addition to the Squier.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Dali,

That guitar is only half finished. You have got to add a 2" cream coloured stripe along the top of the guitar - Guinness isn't Guinness without a tight, creamy head. :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Looks good Dali.
I like the strap too. Where did you get it?

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

I just ordered one of these for my son a couple days ago. He wanted the black. DH tried to talk me into ordering 2, one for myself, but I thought I'd wait for the first one to come in and see what I think about it. If I like it, I might get a blonde for myself, although I have no clue how to play an electric. Humbuckers? Coils? What are these knobs for? :lol:

Still need to get an amp and I have no clue about that either. What's a good one for a kid that doesn't cost a lot, but sounds decent. He'll only be using it in the house, most likely.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Still need to get an amp and I have no clue about that either. What's a good one for a kid that doesn't cost a lot, but sounds decent. He'll only be using it in the house, most likely.

My suggestion would be a Roland MicroCube. Good built in effects, can run off batteries, and sounds fairly good for a low watt practice amp.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

+1 on the Roland MicroCube amp. We have one.

It's a great little practice amp, doesn't take a lot of room, has some cool effects, not too expensive. Like CnJ said, it can be run on batteries if you have a headache and need to send him to the garage to play. :lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
Page 24 / 51