Clear all

Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.8 K Views
(@madscience)
Eminent Member

Well I decided I didnt like the bright white pickguard on my Sunburst 51. So I went to a local Sign makers shop here and bought a yard of Vinyl. I'd also suggest if any of you would like to change your pickguard this is a very easy way to do it. The yard of vinyl cost me like $2.50, and it's nothing more than putting on a strong bond sticker.

Heres a pic

Looks good. Is it a faux lizard skin or a geometric pattern?

It was like a Holograhic pattern it was called Mosaic. When the light hits it, the holographic look come into play. Kinda like you can see through it.

Fender 60th Anniversary Telecaster
Gretsch 5120
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender P Bass
Squire '51 Vintage Blond
Squire '51 Tangerine Orange, Dover White Pickguard
Squire '51 Sonic Blue, creme Pickguard, Dimarzio DP100 Humbucker
Takamine Acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It was like a Holograhic pattern it was called Mosaic. When the light hits it, the holographic look come into play. Kinda like you can see through it.

Got it. The picture doesn't do it justice.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I'm falling behind. All I've done is changed the knob for the switch to a chicken foot knob.

Chicken head knob, maybe? If not, what's a chicken foot knob?

Yes, chicken head knob. I've been on some cough medicine with codeine, so I'm a tiny bit goofy right now :)

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

Here's mine after I painted the pickguard and the pickup cover with black Fusion spraypaint for plastics. It says that after 7 days, it is fully bonded and chip resistant. So far so good. It has a slight texture, but it is a very even texture that looks quite nice. The paint didn't stick to the screws well, so I will probably get some black screws. Excuse the glaring overhead light, which is kind of washing it out. It's very gray here today.

Melisa

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok, am I wrong or is the coolest Squier 51 mod?

I liked this so much that I just bought another one to do a similar modification. I think I'm going to do a metallic orange with a cream pickguard and shiny chrome hardware (think 60's Corvette).

I know, I'm crazy.

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=910

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I like the pickguard

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@madscience)
Eminent Member

Buddy of mine has a Vinyl cutter I took him the Custom F lightning bolt image and he cut me one to try out Here's the results.

Gretsch 5120
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender P Bass
Squire '51 Vintage Blond
Takamine Acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

That looks sweet as hell, MadScience. I bet a dark shade of silver would look good on that as well.

Also...can a whammy bar be used with this guitar? >_> Doesn't look like it. But I thought I'd ask anyways. I assume you can, but only if the bridge is replaced, correct?

ReplyQuote
(@madscience)
Eminent Member

That looks sweet as hell, MadScience. I bet a dark shade of silver would look good on that as well.

Also...can a whammy bar be used with this guitar? >_> Doesn't look like it. But I thought I'd ask anyways. I assume you can, but only if the bridge is replaced, correct?

Kevin

Thnx man, I thought it looked pretty good too. As far as adding a Tremolo , Yes you are correct the Bridge would need to be changed as well as the Mod for the Whammy. I think I saw on one of the Modders forums where someone had put a Floyd Rose on a 51 but I cant remember where I saw it. Me Personally I dont think I'd want one on it, you can always get that effect Old school by the volume knob and bends.

Gretsch 5120
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender P Bass
Squire '51 Vintage Blond
Takamine Acoustic

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I thought I saw someone talking on the modders forum about adding a Bigsby. Not sure if I saw one added.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

one of you industrious types should attempt this strat body hipshot bender,...
get parts and info here,
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/index.htm

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@madscience)
Eminent Member

By The way just a quick tip.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere or not but its 40 pages to search thru so please forgive me if this is repetitious.
For all you people out there that want to paint ( Spray Bomb ) your guitars with aerosol enamel and what not. If you don't already know
you can get a pistol grip thingy that fits over the top of the paint can and turns your can into a Paint gun. I highly recommend you pick up one of
these little $2 tools. It will make a world of difference in the outcome of your painting. I myself have just scotched my sunburst, painted it with a
White Kilz primer, and am now in the process of Spray Bombing it with a Krylon Tangerine ( New Color for Krylon). I will post pics after Im finished with it.
I'm still waiting for my Sonic blue one to be finished but my friend is painting that one. He's an auto body man so he did it for me as a favor.

Anyway just wanted to mention that little tip. One other thing I would also recommend the Sherwin Williams White Kilz Primer, had no problem whatsoever covering the old paint.

Here's a great site for painting your guitar using spray cans http://www.bradsucks.net/archives/2006/05/29/guitar-painting-part-1/

God Bless

Gretsch 5120
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender P Bass
Squire '51 Vintage Blond
Takamine Acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@big-ed)
Eminent Member

I read so many people being amazed with these $100 guitars. I also heard production stopped. I had to have one. I got a burst a week agao and everyone is right. Lots of fun and good sound. I got to lower the action alittle but so far this seems to be a bargin...Lot's of fun for $100!!!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW-What a Ride!" --Anonymous

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I'm afraid to...

I think I'm the only one not to get one!

I still think this should be renamed the "Guitarnoise Signature Series"!

I agree, how many are there out there?

Also, I STILL think that Fender owes all members of this site one for free! :D

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
Page 40 / 51