Clear all

Squier '51 roll-call

763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.9 K Views
(@hudman)
Eminent Member

I got mine today and have been noodling around with it all night. I don't have an amp yet so I can't speak about how it sounds(though I think when I do it will be more a factor of the user rather than the instrument). The finish seems good, the neck feels like it's not varnished, like a raw wood feel. I imagine that will age nicely, I can see that it could use some set up help from someone that knows what they're doing(not me, I have no clue). I'm really happy I got this guitar, otherwise I would have waited way too long, now I'm forced to buy and amp :) I found a barely used Vox AD15VT........;)

I've been playing guitar since the mid '80's. I have owned a ton of different tube and solid state amps over the years: Ampeg, Crate, Fender, Marshall, Peavey, Randall, Carvin, Roland, Vox and others. I bought a factory second Vox AD15V for $100 last week. It is one of the best practice amps on the market. It gets a wide range of sounds with the built in effects and the amp modeling sounds great. I really like it a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

You can add me to the list. I got mine today. 2 tone Sunburst. The finish is pretty much perfect. The frets are a little sharp in a couple of places and the first fret definitely needs work. I love the humbucker but havent tested the other pickup much. The strings were awful so I cleaned them, I would have replaced them but I am planning on polishing the frets and getting rid of the sharp edges so I will wait until then before I change the strings. THe bridge has a little bit of buzzing noise coming from it, I may end up getting a GFS bridge. THe tuners seemed good but I really didn't do fiddle with it enough to judge it properly.

After playing this guitar I couldn't help but think that Fender may be planning on making a more expensive model of this guitar. I think it would be a good seller.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@hudman)
Eminent Member

You can add me to the list. I got mine today. 2 tone Sunburst. The finish is pretty much perfect. The frets are a little sharp in a couple of places and the first fret definitely needs work. I love the humbucker but havent tested the other pickup much. The strings were awful so I cleaned them, I would have replaced them but I am planning on polishing the frets and getting rid of the sharp edges so I will wait until then before I change the strings. THe bridge has a little bit of buzzing noise coming from it, I may end up getting a GFS bridge. THe tuners seemed good but I really didn't do fiddle with it enough to judge it properly.

After playing this guitar I couldn't help but think that Fender may be planning on making a more expensive model of this guitar. I think it would be a good seller.

I can't wait on Fender. I spent $97.00 on upgrades to make mine better. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Got mine today. I found two very minor cosmetic flaws you would have to look very closely to find. Tuners feel great, guitar was actually set up very well and intonation sounds correct to my ears. I'll check with a tuner later tonight. I did feel the frets just a little on the high E side of the neck, but I'm not going to sand or file them at all, they will wear down in a few weeks just playing it. I won't get a chance to play it through an amp till late tonight, so can't really comment on tone yet. Volume and 3 Way Selector knobs feel solid. Nothing loose anywhere.

Really, I am very happy with this guitar, I will probably keep it stock. This is a super value for $99. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

I want one
I want one
I want one
I want one
I want one
I want one
I want one

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone. I received mine today. Well, I must say that this guitar (and my other, customized Korean Squier) are starting to make me think that any guitar over $400 is just flat-out overpriced.

I played it for about 40 minutes and I think it sounds really good. The pickups sounded fine through my amp both clean and dirty. The coil split worked well in clean mode - not really recognizable with some gain. What I really liked was that when I switched between pickups there was a really noticable difference.

The pros (so far):
Neck was nice - one piece maple
Tuners seemed solid - I was going to upgrade to Grovers - not sure if I will now
Pickups impressed me. The single coil even has raised pole-pieces
Everything seemed to fit very tightly.
Bridge was solid
Finish (black) was flawless
And the #1 thing that impressed me... and maybe it shouldn't have... but the neck plate has Squier etched into it... you know, my Highway One Fender Strat had a blank neck plate with the stupid "CE" sticker on it. I thought that was a totally unneeded touch (the Squier), and it added value for me (for some reason).

The cons (so far):
There is one screw that holds the bridge to the body that is on an angle and isn't flush, I'll have to re-set.
The volume knob is loose
There is a little glue overspray at the first three frets on the low E side. Only can see it when you play. It actually makes the neck look vintage
In contrast to the neck plate, the Squier logo on the headstock is LAME. Looks like an iron-on. Very cheap looking. I'm painting over it anyway.
The three way knob is clever, but i think it might be easy to forget what your setting is...

That's it my friends! So far it seems like a STEAL.

I haven't checked intonation. Will do later tonight. I'm also curious to see how well it stays in tune (over the course of a few days).

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Oh, and one more thing... I don't know what you all think, but this guitar feels fairly substantial. I was expecting a super-light guitar (ie, CHEAP), but this thing feels like a real instrument and not a toy. I was impressed by that.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good review, Dali.

I agree with what you said. Especially about the body being heavier than expected.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Well, congrats to everyone that scored one. Sounds like a heck of a bargain. If I didn't have more than enough guitars, I'd lay my money down too.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I was surprised about the weight too. I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet but I have all my other guitars(pathetic huh) so I might as well do this one too. It does seem about the same weight as my Fender StratMIM. I thought Basswood was supposed to be lighter??

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I got to play mine some more last night and I have concluded that I really like the guitar. The neck took me a little bit to get use to (I didn't like the unfinished feel at first). The pick-ups sound great! Really, really like the bridge pup. Sounds great split too! I love the "rough & gritty" sound it produces.

I think I am going to replace the bridge though. I'm getting some buzzing and it is a pain to string (tip: bend the tip of your strings). Everything else is just fine.

Great, great deal!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I drove over the the local GC today to see what all the hub-bub was about. They had already sold out. I had planned on trading in my starter guitar with a faulty switch and plug-in towards it. Oh well.

I didn't walk out of there empty handed though. Picked up an ESP LTD M-252 with a Floyd Rose and Duncan Designed pickups for about $150 used. I guess my 12-string purchase will have to wait....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

If I didn't have more than enough guitars, I'd lay my money down too.

... (13 hours passing)

I didn't walk out of there empty handed though. Picked up an ESP LTD M-252 with a Floyd Rose and Duncan Designed pickups for about $150 used.

That's the attitude! LOL!

Congrats on new guitar then!!

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

Mine arrived tonight. Looks really nice and seems to be put together pretty well. The frets are not sharp and all the screws seem to be in tight and straight. The strap pegs are both kinda loose, however, I'm not sure that they are not supposed to be. In my limited exposure to electric guitars, it sounds pretty good and the neck is really nice. The action is real nice and easy to play.

I think we did pretty good for a $99 guitar.

Oh, I got the black one and if anyone wants to trade a white pickguard for black, I may be interested.

Picks to follow...

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

OK, here's a few pics...

My daughter thinks this one is for her. :)

[/img]

A few others here.

-Jim

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 51