763 Posts
112 Users
0 Likes
133.9 K Views
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

LOL we are buying all the '51s up.

It would be so cool if everybody here could get together for a big jam. :D

It would be funny to see 25 players on stage all with Squier 51s.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Laff, ya we could call ourselves "The B-51's"

:)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

LOL we are buying all the '51s up.

It would be so cool if everybody here could get together for a big jam. :D

It would be funny to see 25 players on stage all with Squier 51s.

Maybe we can all do an online blues jam for 51 owners? :)

Has anyone seen a place that sells a black pearl pickguard for the 51's? I can find white but want black ... :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Has anyone seen a place that sells a black pearl pickguard for the 51's? I can find white but want black ... :)

Jason

Patience, Glasshoppah :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Patience, Glasshoppah :wink:

What's that? :lol:

I guess I should say that I've found a place that would make one for me, but I'm not paying what they want to charge. :)

Had any more time with your '51? How do you plan on dressing the frets?

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@hudman)
Eminent Member

I think you left off Nick. :)

Dali, I'm only going to replace mine if I can find a pearl black one. If I do, you are welcome to my guard.

Jason

I just checked eBay for a black pickguard... there are some out there, starting at $28 and going up!! Jeez, if I want one badly enough I'll just buy another '51 at $99 just for the guard before I spend $30!

I read on several forums that Musician Friend ships the vintage blonde '51 with a white pickguard. Unfortunately, I read about it AFTER I ordered mine. My '51 was delivered earlier today. Luckily, it was shipped with the black pickguard.

I haven't had much time to play it. I did notice a hairline crack in the poly finish on each side of the neck pocket. They are barely noticable and do nothing to hurt the structure or playability of the guitar. The neck angle is great. The fret ends are flush with the fretboard (first '51 I seen without rough fret ends). The action is just a tad high and the 9 gauge strings are WAY too slinky for my taste. The intonation is a touch off on the high E and B. The other strings are right on. Overall, I am VERY impressed.

I placed an order with GuitarFetish.com last night. I ordered a GFS bridge (chrome), a GFS Fat PAF zebra humbucker (black & cream), GFS strat pickup (5.25 K), cream pickup cover and Wilkinson EZ-Lok tuners (chrome). I thought the black and cream pickup combo would contrast well with the vintage blonde and black. Guitar Fetish shipped the parts out earlier today. With any luck, I will get the new parts Friday or Monday. I plan to install the new pickups, bridge, tuners and set it up with 10 gauge strings as soon as possible.

I bought a deluxe Fender gig bag on Ebay from "Stratosphere". I paid $10.50 for the bag and $11.00 for shipping. It's the same gig bag Musicians Friend sells for $59.99. I owned one before. They are very nice. The guy sells them all the time. He also sells Fender hardshell cases. Check out his auctions.

I will post some pictures after I complete the mods.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Ummm let's see, it's been 24 hours. Of those I've had 0 time to give it any more thought.

So, I guess the answer would be I don't know. But knowing me, I'll find the proper files (already have) and put the project to bench. But the weather will need to turn a little colder for a little longer before then. I am going to probably tear into it shortly and see how awful the pup holes look before determining the need for the pick guard. If I decide to not use it, I'll put it on ebay and you can fight for it. :D Nah, just kidding. I'm not promising anything so if you find one, jump on it. But mine might be available in the future.

Actually the frets aren't bad enough that it's even a problem. I just notice they aren't as smooth as my other guitars. And once the bleeding stops I can even go back into the computer room to play some more without dripping on the carpeting. :D

I forgot to ask....Is that where we get the term shredding? :?:

Bish

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

My '51 has arrived!

The finish is great, it sounds great, the only flaw I can find so far is the edge of the frets are a little sharp, not a big problem, a little sand paper should fix that :)

Other than the sharp frets I love the neck, it feels great.

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Mine arrived as well. My initial thoughts are ... not sure. Mine has some finish flaws. There is a large section on the front of the guitar where the paint is thin and you can see a little bit of the wood underneath. Can't see it from just a few feet away though. The fret ends are a bit sharp on mine as well. The strings suck big time and are getting ready to come off. I plugged it into my DRRI and started playing with the various pickup settings. Not too bad and I think some new strings will help even more. The hardware doesn't seem to bad either. The bridge seems like it will work for now, so I'm going to hold off on buying any upgrades just yet.

I'm going to go swap the strings and play it some more. I'll report back later ...

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@hudman)
Eminent Member

double post - sorry.

ReplyQuote
(@hudman)
Eminent Member

Mine arrived as well. My initial thoughts are ... not sure. Mine has some finish flaws. There is a large section on the front of the guitar where the paint is thin and you can see a little bit of the wood underneath. Can't see it from just a few feet away though. The fret ends are a bit sharp on mine as well. The strings suck big time and are getting ready to come off. I plugged it into my DRRI and started playing with the various pickup settings. Not too bad and I think some new strings will help even more. The hardware doesn't seem to bad either. The bridge seems like it will work for now, so I'm going to hold off on buying any upgrades just yet.

I'm going to go swap the strings and play it some more. I'll report back later ...

Jason

Did you get the vintage blonde model? It's normal to see the wood grain through vintage blonde finishes. It's done that way on purpose.

I agree on the strings. They are terrible. I might put a new set on mine to play for a fee days before my new parts arrive.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Update:

The Dali
Margaret
Bish
Wes
Slejhamer
Sdolsay
Duffmaster
U2Bono269
Banre
Crank'n'Jam
dhutson
Steeder
Baldwin
DennisF6
Hudman
Nick
CSmart01
Dagwood
Boxboy

I haven't received mine. I ordered on Friday and was hoping to have it by today. I guess I'll have to wait until tomrorow...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Did you get the vintage blonde model? It's normal to see the wood grain through vintage blonde finishes. It's done that way on purpose.

I agree on the strings. They are terrible. I might put a new set on mine to play for a fee days before my new parts arrive.

I did. I only see the grain from one piece of wood, but it does appear to be the most figured (is that what you call it?). I wasn't aware that it was intentional though. I'll see if I can get it to show up in a picture (nope, too light).

I just put some new strings on. Made a world of difference. I'm getting a little bit of a buzzing from the low E saddle, which from what I've read isn't uncommon.

I'm not complaining though, I wasn't expecting perfection in a $99 guitar! :lol: Just giving my initial thoughts. Back to playing ...

ReplyQuote
(@sticky)
Trusted Member

I got mine today and have been noodling around with it all night. I don't have an amp yet so I can't speak about how it sounds(though I think when I do it will be more a factor of the user rather than the instrument). The finish seems good, the neck feels like it's not varnished, like a raw wood feel. I imagine that will age nicely, I can see that it could use some set up help from someone that knows what they're doing(not me, I have no clue). I'm really happy I got this guitar, otherwise I would have waited way too long, now I'm forced to buy and amp :)

I found a barely used Vox AD15VT........;)

How do you know if a drummer is knocking on your door.....

The knocking speeds up.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I got mine today and have been noodling around with it all night. I don't have an amp yet so I can't speak about how it sounds(though I think when I do it will be more a factor of the user rather than the instrument). The finish seems good, the neck feels like it's not varnished, like a raw wood feel. I imagine that will age nicely, I can see that it could use some set up help from someone that knows what they're doing(not me, I have no clue). I'm really happy I got this guitar, otherwise I would have waited way too long, now I'm forced to buy and amp :)

I found a barely used Vox AD15VT........;)

Ah the GAS has begun.

Congrats all of you who've received yours. I think we made a solid investment in a neat inexpensive guitar with great possibilities.

Bish

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 51