Clear all

squier bullet repair

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@simonsez)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, i need input on a delimma i am having.

The story is that my first guitar i got way back in 88 is a squire bullet (jr size) strat copy and it was damaged during an earthquake 15 yrs ago. The pickguard (faceplate?) was cracked where the output jack was and also damaged the wiring below that connected to the tone/volume knobs. The question is that I can find a prewired pickguard+pickups from stewart-mcdonald for the strat but the bullet has the jack inserted into the pickguard ( see ebay ad for pic) so it wont work. There is some sentimental value but I don't want to spend way more than the guitar is worth as it is mostly a decent starter guitar that I would love my girls to learn on. Is it worth it to fix it? Does anyone know where I can find a prewired pickguard + pickups,tone/volume knobs for a squire bullet (besides ebay?)? (I have seen that Ebay has some parts every now and then)

thanks

heres a guitar similar to mine: http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-SQUIER-SQUIRE-BULLET-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ110162707023QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

This is what I would do...

Buy one of those pre-wired pickguards for the pickups and wiring. Then, have a new pickguard amde using your current pickguard as the template. You can either buy a pickguard blank (StewMac, or Grizzly) and make your own, or send yours out to be professionally made ( http://www.pickguardian.com ). Then, move the electronics into the new pickguard.

Probably looking at close to $75 when you are all done.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Great suggestion from the Dali.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@simonsez)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks, i got a quote from pickguardian ($45+ 6$ SH) But the problem lies in that the pre-wired pickgaurds do not include the output jack which is missing and is located at the bottom right corner of the pickguard (this is opposed to what the strats and later bullet models have done by having the jack located on the body). I am also missing the jack itself as it was cracked off along with some of the pickguard during the earthquake.

any ideas?

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

thanks, i got a quote from pickguardian ($45+ 6$ SH) But the problem lies in that the pre-wired pickgaurds do not include the output jack which is missing and is located at the bottom right corner of the pickguard (this is opposed to what the strats and later bullet models have done by having the jack located on the body). I am also missing the jack itself as it was cracked off along with some of the pickguard during the earthquake.

any ideas?

It doesn't look any different from the standard jacks that you can buy from Stew-Mac, Radio Shack, etc. Couldn't you have the pickguard maker predrill for the jack and then you just need to wire the output from the pre-wired electronics to this jack just as you would have to on any other pre-wired pickguard? Just buy a jack, fit it to the pickguard at the same time as you move the electronics from the other pickguard and then wire it up.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

The output jack is just a 1/4" phono jack. You can get them at Radio Shack real cheap.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@simonsez)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, i guess i didnt think of it :oops: Now to find a soldering iron and some solder.

ReplyQuote