Skip to content
Stairway To Heaven:...

Notifications
Clear all

Stairway To Heaven: Is it Humanly Possible?

51 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

OK...because if you look at the Guitar Pro file it looks like a slight overlap?

I am just trying to get it to SOUND like the video...at least when I started the first part I already knew what it sounded like...this part is slightly diffeent than the original

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I'm learning this song right now as well. However, I'm cheating and using the plectrum. That obviously means I'm not playing the bass notes. I haven't messed around much with finger picking, but once I get the changes down pretty well, I'll try it that way.

Mike, I listened to your clip and think you're coming along just fine.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I like to switch between the 2 styles. I am also trying the LOve Me Tender he has on that site as well.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

OK...because if you look at the Guitar Pro file it looks like a slight overlap?

I am just trying to get it to SOUND like the video...at least when I started the first part I already knew what it sounded like...this part is slightly different than the original

Thanks
Every bodies interpretation is a little different. Once you nail the video sound you can then tinker with the flow to get it to sound like what you like. I did notice that lesson is a little different but not enough to lose sleep over.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@kirants)
Eminent Member

When I first played Stairway I couldn't fingerpick and do all those thing at the same time, so I did a "bastard" version of it, without the bass note when you pick two strings... I did that for a while until my friend showed me up, and I've been doing it correctly ever since... 8) :lol:

Oh yeah.. In fact, I couldn't even notice there were those bass notes in there until I started to actually analyze the song by listening closely. Those descending bass notes are what add to the beauty immensely, IMO.

BTW, one area I am having trouble with the intro is with my barre. I somehow have trouble getting the notes sound right ( G and B strings ) because I get my fleshy portion touching it for the 7-5-5-5, 6-5-5-7,5-5-5-8 parts :(

Visit me @http://www.kirants.com

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Yes indeed, that barring takes a little time to get used to and really get the feeling right but keep at it. Your body and mind will get it in time. Remember to press right behind the fret, that makes it a lot easier.

Take Tom's words about position to heart, those "stretches" should be non-stretches, as you can typically assign one finger per fret, hopefully the following image works: the barre on 5, the pinky on 8. I also have fairly large hands, but in my case I actually bend my pinky back a little bit, an un-stretch if you will.

Anyhow, good luck with stairway. I'll re-emphasise: Don't burn out on it! It will make the song less enjoyable in the end. Your issues clearly aren't in not knowing the song, you obviously have studied it intsensely, so take a little time and develop your technique before attacking it again. :D

Good luck!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4