Clear all

Sticky necks

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ive noticed that recently the neck on my strat has begun to slow me down. I know the neck is the cause because I never wipe it down after practice. Is there any kind of polish or cleaner that I can buy to help make it smooth again? If not, what can I do to help clean up the neck?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I use a micro fibre window cloth - no water, no polish, just the cloth.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I always wipe the neck down, fret by fret, with a soft cloth, after every session....I put the cloth under the strings and at 90 degrees to the neck, just a quick wipe will do....pull through, pull back a couple of times...

I figure if I'm going to fork out my hard-earned readies on a guitar, I'm going to make sure it's in peak condition...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

ok, now i'm confuzzeld :?
when you guys talk about "sticky" necks are you talkin bout the back of the neck grabing yer palm when ya slide or yer fingers mucking up on the fretboard???
reason is i bought some of this #0000 grade steel wool for one of my necks that had a "grabby" kinda feel on the back against my palm. it wasn't so bad but every once in a while it would just annoy the heck outa me.
anyhoo, since i shined it a bit with the #0000 it plays like my satin strat neck now and i can't believe the differance. :o

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I am thinking that blackzerogsh is talking about the back of the neck which was not sticky before but is now so just using a dry soft rag should do it to kind of buff it out. If not a tiny bit of Ole English furniture polish, which is more of a cleaner than a polish, will clean it up good but make sure you rub it dry afterwords. Just make sure it is not a wax type of polish.

Twistedlefty, I think you are thinking of just a sticky/slow neck in general which a light rub with 4o will help.

And Vic, I think you are just good at cleaning in general which I am a little anal about myself.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

There are also a heap of cleaning and polishing products available through guitar shops and the net. I expect that they all claim miraculous improvements in look, cleanliness and general performance, but some of them may just be worth using.

The only one I've tried is a locally made one which allegedly helps keep the frets cleaner and the strings in better nick (i.e. a bit less squeaky and a bit slower to corrode, if I understand the claims correctly.... :wink: )

I spray a bit on a rag and then just do a general wipe of the fretboard and strings.

Anybody had any good or bad experiences with sprays or polishes? Think they're useful, or a waste of money??

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Had the same problem. One word for you: Pledge!

Available just about anywhere. I got the outdoor fresh, I happen to love the smell, although unfortuntely the smell fades after an hour or two.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Really, you should wipe down your GIT after every use. And more importantly, wash your hands before. I don't always do that and I notice my strings don't last as long if I don't play with clean hands. I found it best to wash my hand with colder water.

I'll use only two products on my guitars. One to treat the fret board and the other for the body.

I use "Guitar Honey". It comes in a spray, its a red/pinkish liquid in a clear bottle. Its kind of expensive, but its worth it and it lasts a long time.

One good squirt on your fingerboard without the strings is all you need, let it sit a minute then thoroughly wipe it all off with a clean rag. It works great. I use it at every string change.

The other thing I use maybe every two or three months is a good quality polish on my guitars finish (laquered not micro celloused), either from the music store or a higher quality car wax(spray) like McQuires or something. It doesn't take very much either, but then again I always wipe my guitars down after I play on em.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

ok, now i'm confuzzeld :?
when you guys talk about "sticky" necks are you talkin bout the back of the neck grabing yer palm when ya slide or yer fingers mucking up on the fretboard???
reason is i bought some of this #0000 grade steel wool for one of my necks that had a "grabby" kinda feel on the back against my palm. it wasn't so bad but every once in a while it would just annoy the heck outa me.
anyhoo, since i shined it a bit with the #0000 it plays like my satin strat neck now and i can't believe the differance. :o

To help your "confuzzsion" :lol: Im talking about when you slide your hand to move it up and down the neck.

Also, Twisted, what did you do with the steel wool? Is it like a sheet you bought and attached to the neck?

So at this point, my best bet is to start wiping it down?

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I use fast fret on the back of the neck and the strings goes on dry no liquids and come with soft cloth to wipe down loose dirt after you use the fast fret, most of the time I just use a soft cloth but when I notice more build up I use the fast fret works good for me you can by it at most guitar stores or order online music123.com.

:D

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

For preventive maintanence I use..... :roll: baby powder. :lol: and wipe it off after.

What?! I have children so I have TONS of it! Why not use it?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

"Im talking about when you slide your hand to move it up and down the neck."

yeah i know , but i was asking if your stickiness was on the fretboard (hard to do since you shouldn't touch it much) or the back of the neck against your palm (which is what i assumed)

#0000 steel wool is about the finest grade steel wool you can buy. i use it for finish carpentry.
i lightly rubbed it up and down the back of the neck of my painted guitar.
i really do not care how it looks because it's an old beater and now it feels like buttah.
it gave the neck kind of an old worn look :D

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

But you are exposing the wood by taking off the finish resulting in unwanted exposure to the environment. Which could lead to a nasty future for your axe.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Had the same problem. One word for you: Pledge! Pledge is used by many pro Hammond organ players to facilitate those big glisses they like to do. They just slather it on the keys. Ought to perform about the same on the back of a guitar neck.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

But you are exposing the wood by taking off the finish resulting in unwanted exposure to the environment. Which could lead to a nasty future for your axe.

i thought of that also. the #0000 is so fine as to only barely scratch the surface and smooth it to a satin finish. not enough to go thru the paint. i do not suggest this to anyone unless the guitar neck is really sticky and you can afford to have it refinished.
otherwise i think any of the aforementioned products should work fine :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2