Clear all

Strat Bridge Problem

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just changed the strings for the first time on my new Squier Standard Strat and now the bridge is sitting a bit higher than it was before. The action is just a bit higher, also. The strings were the same size as the originals (9s) but I didn't do anything with the bridge when I was changing it. It's not really impeding my playing but it's bothering me a lot. Should I just let the bridge settle (I changed them about 5 hours ago), put another spring on the tremolo (there are 2 on there right now), or do I need to drop the dough for a new setup?

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Next time you change strings do it the way most Strat people do: one at a time, so the bridge doesn't move too much. For now, you could loosen all the strings and sort of pull and push the tremolo back and forth until it's generally the way it was, and then start to tighten the strings to pitch. You'll have to keep yanking on the trem as you go, but it should get you back to a 'neutral' position.

Usually 3 springs is what most people use. Did you take one off or did it come with only 2 attached?

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Demo, I got it fixed by just loosening and jerking it around. And yes, I did change them one by one just like I do on my acoustic and, yes, it only came with 2 springs attached which I thought was weird also.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote