Clear all

String and set-up advice

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was thinking of putting 9's on my G&L?? I have 10's on there now and was looking for easier playability. After a long search I finally found a great guitar tech. I am dropping it off on Monday and he told me to bring the strings I would like to use. Any advice. Are 9's just wimpy, if so just skip this post a move on to a more manly player.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I think 9's are quite common. Not wimpy at all. Remember, when asked what advice he'd offer aspiriing guitarists, Jimmy Page said "thinner strings".

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I play 9's. All my guitar heros use them too. I can play heavier strings just fine, but 9's just feel better to me.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Whew! 9s feel better to me too, but I thought it was just from being a newbie. My Mexican Strat has Fender 9s and I really like them. When I got my Squier '51, the shop I bought it from put new D'Addorio 9s on it. I heard that heavier strings are better for bending, but I'm not there yet anyway.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I always use 9's on the fender style of guitars because of the longer neck it just feels better. But I always use 10's on Gibson style guitars because of the shorter neck.

ReplyQuote