Clear all

Strings/Effects

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@darrenjag)
Topic starter  

Hello all!

I've been playing electroacoustic for a while now, predominantly in Open C or Csus2 (a cheap Ovation knockoff by MSA, the 99€ I paid for it were well worth it: only link I can find for it ) and in the pursuit of my perfect sound I've been looking into changing string guages and grabbing some effects pedals.

First off, I'm a particular fan of distorted acoustic guitar, looking mainly to Xavier Rudd and John Butler's sounds. I'm not looking for much, just enough to give the sound that lovely, powerful edge. Anyone have any recommendations? (I haven't got my own amp yet, by the way.)

Secondly, I liked the idea of getting an octaver, but a friend dissuaded me on the basis of them sounding terrible when using chords, but I still want to see about deepening my sound a little. Does anyone have any experience with mixing and matching guitar and bass strings? I was debating using a bass string in place of the low 6th E and shifting the others up, removing the high 1st E entirely (for example, using a D bass string at .65 tension as the 6th). Does it work in practice, or is it really only in theory that it makes sense?

Musically,
Darren

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Well, if you're going to try it, try with a 100 pound guitar!
I don't know that your tunning peg will work for that gauge and the nut slot certainly wouldn't.
I like the way you think though, and I think a bass string at that scale would be very difficult to intonate because of the length you'll be loosing in diameter of the string. Plus the tension. Try finding rubber bass strings for the guild ashberry bass guitar. You'd be amazed at the tones they produce under little tension. I would try that first but I don't know how available they are now or the cost. They'd work amplified as you are using a piezo transducer in the bridge I'm pretty sure.

Effects: get and amp... then the boss ds1 distortion they are very wimpy and mid rangey and would be ideal for acoustic I would think and they can be had for a song because... they are wimpy.
Boss blue box for pitch. Actually get this first as it has a fuzz component to it an may suffice for you needs and can be had for about a song and a half used. $25 USD.

ReplyQuote