Stuck in a rut...

16 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I need some advice/help/anything....

For the last few weeks I've been stuck in a complete rut. I'm sick of playing everything that I know, nothing new is inspiring me to want to learn it, and I can't even write anything new. I just feel like my playing is going nowhere. It's gotten to the point where playing is more depressing than releiving because I feel like all the time I've spent playing is worthless because it's not going anywhere at all.

Any advice on how to rekindle my desire to play? Like I said, I can't even find a new song that I want to learn. I wish I had someone jam with but while Im home from school I don't know anyone that plays.

Anything?

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Take a break. When the time comes you'll be back. Why play if it's not fun? Chances are you'll be refreshed when you come back. Maybe read up on some theory.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@mhlandry)
Trusted Member

Is there any music you can listen to you that might inspire you? Maybe check out a concert dvd?

See a live show? Find some people to jam with? Perform for a small set of people?

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Get a new guitar!

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Get a new guitar!

Mikespe will tell you its true...

Just bustin mike, were all jealous

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

yeah i'll second taking a break... everyone goes through these patches.

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Get a new guitar!

Mikespe will tell you its true...

Just bustin mike, were all jealous

But you know it really does work...even though my Ibanez is currently broke I spent a total of 4 hours today playing and I couldn't believe the gains I have made...my fingers were moving fast, my picking was good, my timing was on, etc. Plus the new book I got The Rhythm Guitar Book is fantastic...

I am finding out that you have to do what motivates you to play..new guitar, book, new song, jam with others, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I'm doing whatever Mikespe is doing!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I admire Mike's view, but it's expensive 8). Try taking a week off, or switching genres that you listen to and play.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Trust me, I've thought about getting a new guitar numerous times. If I had the money I'd go buy one in a second. Problem is I'm really strapped for cash at the moment. :(

As far as finding something that inspires me to play, I've done it. I've been extremely inspired by jambands as of late (think the likes of Phish, MOE., etc), music that requires a group effort to create the magic. There's just one problem with it....I don't have anyone to play with. I don't know any musicians where I am right now. I'm home from college and in my hometown, I am pretty much the lone guitarist. The only other person I know who can play guitar, bass, or various other instruments (minus horns/percussion) is one of my high school teachers. That pretty much cuts out jamming with people.

Unless someone can give me some solo arrangements of songs in that genre, I don't really know what to do.

Again, thanks for the advice and keep it coming.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Go to youtube.com and check out some videos of your favorites bands, watching good guitar players makes me want to play.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if your strings are old, buy some new strings. maybe get a different gauge or brand for a slightly different sound.
mess around with your pedal and amp settings.
record yourself. maybe it's just your ears or head. a lot of time, when you're not making technical progress, you're solidifying what you do know and making gains in the TONE department.
try different tunings.
improvise with different rhythms, keys, and styles for the songs you know. play everything in a reggae style or punk style or fingerpicking, etc. and get good at it.
listen to some new stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Give it time, you'll develop further as a player with your own style but I would recommend finding jam nights at pubs/clubs anywhere they are.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I wish I had someone jam with but while I'm home from school I don't know anyone that plays.

Even in your backwater, there are likely to be other musicians around, looking to play just like you are.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm starting to work my way out of the rut. I still don't know who to play with, but I'm going to try to find open mics or jam nights somewhere around town.

Last night I did end up learning one little song and tried to record it but my computer was being funky so I never did get a good take. I'll probably try it again today.

I have been taking a lot of the advice you guys have been giving. I've tried listening to other stuff, I plan on playing around with some slide later and see what comes of that.

Thanks a lot guys.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2