Skip to content
How 1st grade math ...

Notifications
Clear all

How 1st grade math can cure your guitar blues(easy/helpful)

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok so some people may have already made this observation but it really made moving around on the fret board a lot easier for me. I got this idea from inversion, but while inversion works, it is definetly more confusing and harder to learn then this.

So the guiar strings are EADGBE each string a perfect fourth apart (G-B is only a major 3rd) but all you need to know is 5 frets apart for every string but G-B which is 4 frets. So lets say hypothetically you start out playing A on low E (fret 5 on string 6) and you wanted to go up 2 frets to B. Inversion will let you find this same B all over the fret board but it involves a lot of interval learning that helps some and confuses others. It is much simpler (on the guitar anyways) to find the other B's by doing this.

On low E you moved up 2 frets to get to B from A (string 6 frets 5->7) if you move directly down from A on the e string (string 6 fret 5) to the D on the A string (string 5 fret 5) then your only a 1st grade math problem away from finding that B (string 6 fret 7) on string 5.

5-2=3

So you must move DOWN 3 frets from D on the A string (string 5 fret 5) to B (string 5 fret 2)

Basically the punchline is if you wanna move UP X number of frets onto another string then 5-X=the number of frets you move DOWN from the note directly below where you started.

If you want to move up 8 frets then you would go down 2 strings. 10-8=2 You then move DOWN 2 frets.

You must remember that G->B strings would have to be adjusted because you only move down 4 frets. Just put a 4 in place of the 5 for any G->B move.

Obviously to move up 8 frets you could also do something like 5-8=-3 and realize you must go down a string and then UP 3 frets, whichever is easier for you. This made moving around the fretboard effortless for me, I really wish the books I read had told me this. I kind of always did it anyways but this really makes playing scales a breeze, you dont even really have to memorize the whole neck because its so easy to move around, let me know what you think.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

(@ranger)

Or what helped me was tring to do maths homework and getting bored.. Then I picked up my guitar and practised like hell... Much more fun :)

Design me a Qpr guitar and i will pay you with more than just money!
Equipment = http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM00/Content/Korg/PR/AX100G.html http://www.rockinn.co.jp/shopping/guitar/epiphone/epi_dot_ch.html

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

huh?

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Its just a trick to connect all the strings so you can see them as one big one instead of 6 different points to memorize. It basically just simplifies inversion for the guitar (and bass). Mindless practicing can only take you so far, if you've ever tried to really think about each note your hitting youd probably see how it would be helpful to use this to get some melodic diversity. Playing random scales to songs is fun also but when you listen to a great guitarist thats not what they are doing. Anyways this really helped me instantly transfer any riff or chord to any other place on the guitar neck without haveing to memorize the whole neck, a skill thats definetly important to be a good lead guitarist.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

If it works for you, then it can only be a good thing! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Its a really simple idea to see, harder to explain through typing. Did that not transfer well haha? Id suggest having your guitar with you and actaully doing the example. It was so simple when I thought of it, and it made my brain hurt to type out haha. But I included the fret and string numbers so theres really no theory required. It looks a lot worse then it really is anyways it definetly did help me, I dont really do the math problem every time, once you get the hang of it theres no thinking involved, you just remember where to go.

Classical inversion means you have to learn every single interval (like perfect fifth and augmented whatever) haha this is a much easier means to the same end. If your having trouble navigating the fretboard this is a good way to learn. You shouldnt be scared to THINK about your guitar playing for a few minutes, the right realizations will help you more then hours of practice.

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think you've made the same discovery that I did 8)
https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=508

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

Wow, that's a great article Greybeard.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

huh?

i' have no idea what youre talkin about :? , i'm bloody useless when it comes to stuff like this. When the word math is mentioned i have this amazing auto brain shutdown.

on my finals a couple years back.. i knew the battle was lost for my math exam before it even started. so true to form i drew a picture of a rock on my exam paper with a note -- all the answers are under the rock --

minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

ya greybeard that is the same thing. I hadnt read that, just kinda hit me as a good way to think about it this morning. I think it is ridiculously helpful.

The math is not the hard part...actually there really isnt a hard part. I really think anyone could get this in about 10 seconds if they were holding a guitar and someone explained it in person. A picture would be helpful im not sure if greybeards article has one or not.

I think that this concept should be one of the first thing you learn when approaching lead guitar.

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

I see equations when I look at a fretboard too, you are not alone.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That numbering system is also unbelievably useful, if you get into slide playing or use open tunings. You get the frets that you need to play for an entire octave (open, 2, 4, 5, 7.......) on the root string.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ya I need to play some more slide guitar, i have a martin d16 but the action is really low (dont get me wrong its great just not for slide) Ive been thinkin about buyin a resinator or something to play slide on.

Side note: Have you heard of Babbit (i think) guitars, they are awsome. The strings dont attach to a bridge they are spread over the top instead, it makes it so the bridge will never pull up and lets the wood vibrate better. They also have the fretboard on a different peice then the main body so you can adjust the action in seconds with a little wrench thing it is so awsome.

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

That's funny. I've been coaching my freinds kid and inadvertently teaching him the same ideas. The math thing is cool. One for the notebook.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote