Clear all

Super-heavy Beck performance.

24 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This is 3 and a half minutes of the best electric fingerstyle form I have seen.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4052603014327207210&q=Jeff+Beck
Can someone tell what hes doing when he slams his hand on the bridge and coaxes out a vibrato like sound?

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

He's just pushing the back of the bridge down directly instead of using the whammy bar.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Quite right. Just tried it. Didnt even know you could do that. Thanks.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

How big is the file? Dang, I'm at 6.65 MB right now and it's stil down loading. I'd like to see it but I don't have all night to wait for a download... LOL

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It should start right away actually. Its only 3 mins and 28 secs. And you can watch while it buffers...

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

Oh dang, I choose to download it. sorry I will go do that. I'm sure it's great. and will ive me something new to try so thanks for posting.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

No problemo bonzo

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

I've always liked Beck. That is a real cool technique. I'm gonna have to try that.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Gotta love JB's playng. It's really like watching and listening to a soulful singer.

And if anybody ever asks you what possible good use is there for a whammy bar ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Thanks for the link.

Enjoyed that a lot!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Eh...I could play like that... :)

Or maybe not. That was pretty sweet.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Nice, that. Good Old Jools Holland does get some top notch guests on his show.

I did notice an oddity with the neck - what's a neck with a rosewood fretboard doing with a skunk stripe? I thought that was only ever found on one-piece maple necks.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Nice, that. Good Old Jools Holland does get some top notch guests on his show.

I did notice an oddity with the neck - what's a neck with a rosewood fretboard doing with a skunk stripe? I thought that was only ever found on one-piece maple necks.

My Tele has a rosewood fingerboard and a skunk stripe - my Strat has one too, but a maple fingerboard. Maybe Fender are just tooled up for skunk stripes these days. My old '58 rosewood Strat certainly didn't have one, so I guess that's it.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It probably depends on the cross-sectional shape of the rosewood fingerboard. Older designs seem to be flat backed (where they glue to the neck). But the newer are actually a curved piece of wood with roughly uniform thickness thru the radius -- something like a thick veneer. So these latter (newer) versions actually have more maple content and less 'exotic' wood. These are also the necks with skunk stripes. My 80's G&L with an ebony 'board and maple neck has the thinner curved fingerboard profile and a walnut skunk strip as well.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

I'm not sure why but it seems like he just gets off course sometimes. Like hes doing things just because he can, not because its good for the music. I could be wrong.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2