The Cobra...

22 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Here's a stand I built to hold my Mocking Bird. It's a fairly easy stand to build. On this one I used pine, cedar and purpleheart. I haven't finished buffing it out. Will do this after the finish has cured a little more.
I previously made one for my son and painted it a gloss black.
Now if a person had a lot of patience and aptitude they could make the base as a coiled snake.

(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

VERY cool! I like! :D :D :D :D

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Man, I want one of those! Very nice work and a fantastic design.

I bet you could make a killing if you work out a deal with your local music shop. Build 'em one for the store as a demo and put 'em on commission :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

if i had such wordcarving skills......

seriously man, sell 'em, make a bundle, and buy more guitars to build stands for...a vicious, er, splendid, circle

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You make me sick! :lol: That is beautiful. You are a real craftsman! Seriously, that is nice.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Wow, quality woodworking is amazing! Awesome job.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

very cool MCH. If I had room in this apartment for a floor stand, I'd definitly ask you to make me one! Heck, it looks like a piece of furniture really. Nice.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Sweet! I can almost see the cobra rising, holding the guitar neck in its venomous fangs...very cool.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

What's your day job? Maybe you should quit it and make guitar's and guitar goodies for a living.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Amazing! I'd lobe to have something like this but I can't tell the difference between a nail and a hammer. :( Great job!

ReplyQuote
 Jay1
(@jay1)
Trusted Member

As everyone else has said that is absolute quality. So much better than your run of the mill metal stands. I WANT ONE.

How long does it take you to make something like this. If it's not a seriously long process, as has been said already, you should seriously look into making some money out of these. My guess is you would be swamped with orders :D

Very cool mate.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

do you plan on putting any padding on it? i'd be afraid it'd stratch your guitar. cool shape, though. very handsome.

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thx for all the compliments. I do this as a hobby. I build various pieces of furniture for friends and family (they pay for the cost of materials and the occasional bottle of wine). I discovered that trying to incoporate this into a viable money source did not work. Time involved in custom work can add up to a serious amount very quickly. There is a very limited market that is willing to pay for this time.
Besides I find I get the greatest joy when I don't stress about meeting deadlines etc. Life is too short. Keeping my woodcrafting as a hobby is very enjoyable. Mass production is not for me.
l'm just a maker of designer sawdust.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

As a hobby artist there is always the other route, make what you want, sell the extras you might end up with, but if you're happy just makin us jealous that's fine too.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Very, very nice!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2