Clear all

The Dark Side

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

All of my life I have been a tele fan. I've alway owned and played one. Well I recently went to the local music store to play an american standard I was about to buy and I played it liked it and all. I had my fiance' with me she said "this guitar looks good whats it sound like" so making her happy I played it. It just happened to be an American Strat (the new ones) I plugged it in and played a lick and it was the smoothest fastest best feeling guitar I have laid hands on in years. I couldn't belive it I picked the tele back up and it didn't even feel right.... I'm so ashamed... :( So I guess I'm buying a strat now. I just can't believe how good this guitar felt. I've played strats before and nothign compares to this. So smooth and fast and it felt good in my hands. Sounded good too.

I am shocked I don't even like the tele I was going to buy now it feels so rough and "beefy" it feels strange. This all concludes to one saying.... D**** Women.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you have found out why strats are so popular and awesome. they are fast and versitle. an american strat is tops.
actually, I have both tele and strat. and I like both for different reasons. as you felt, the tele is a different beast.
it is a workhorse and is perfect for what it does.
a strat is like riding in a fancy car. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i used to own a strat and hated it (maybe cuz it MIM) then I got my tele MIM and i thought well must just be strats, fell in love with tele tone and versitility and it is a work horse as you stated. But that strat OMG the feel was so smooth and fast I could play licks that on my tele took me 2 trys and the strat just 1....

The tele is a like a chevy truck and the strat (american) is like a cadillac

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

curious about the dark side. why do you associate strat with the dark side.
because they have two horns?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

curious about the dark side. why do you associate strat with the dark side.
because they have two horns?

I think it's just because he's a Tele guy :wink:

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thats right, i'm a tele guy and strats are the dark side... the horn thing is a pretty cool thought though... anybody looking for a project guitar..

i have a red squire tele needs work, neck feels nice for a squire, needs new hardware and guts. the body needs repainting. i planned on doing it but don't have time. I 80 plus shipping....

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

This all concludes to one saying.... D**** Women.

But, after all, aren't you glad she was with you? :lol:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I always say, it's what feels good in your hand. That is the key. Of course once you get that, variety becomes the spice of life.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member

Well - IMO - you better get THAT particular guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Well - IMO - you better get THAT particular guitar.

ditto -- it's often not the model, but the particular axe.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Someday you may just switch back to the tele or something completely differant, our tastes tend to change over time. Enjoy the strat.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi Leear :D

Sounds to me like you're maybe describing playing a guitar that has a better setup.
Smoother and faster sure makes it sound like you are likeing the setup on that guitar.

Although you did say 'beefier' refering to your tele in comparison.

I don't know what model tele you have, I know that some like the 50's teles had 'U' shape necks on them.
Where as the MIA strat probably has a 'modern C' shape neck.

As the owner of a 71 strat (with a U shape neck) and an 88 MIA strat (with a C shape) - yeah, it took a while to get used
to that large 'beefier' U shape.

Also, my 71 has a rosewood board, which IMO is a much slower neck to play. I'm not crazy for the 'feel' of them.
Although they sound SO much better.
My 88 has a maple board that is just much smoother to play.

I have to say that American made Fenders are superior to mim's as far as quality and tone go.

I wouldn't write off the tele just yet though.
As was said, they each have their place.

I've stated before the difference in tones to me.
To me, they both sound like Fenders, only;
The tele sounds more masculine to the strat's more feminine sound.
Tele's are sharp, biting, cutting. The sound is right there when you pick the string. Strong. Solid.
Strat's have a wavering, elusive sound, like a flower blowing in a gentle breeze. When you pick the string there's almost a hesitancy. Very transparent.

I myself am probably going to go with a tele as my next guitar. (A 63 Time Machine series... ash/rosewood combo in case you were curious :D )

A MIA strat.... I think everyone should own one.
I think you'll be very happy with it.
Keep your tele though :wink:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote