The future (!?)

22 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@reeve)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So I have this dilemma.

Being in highschool, I have a ton of free time after school, and usually play about 4 hours a day when I can. Seeing as I graduate next year, I'm very afraid of the future of my guitar career. I'm gonna go to college, but I'm scared of what'll happen to my free time.

What are your guys' experiences with college and careers interfering with your guitar? How much time do you think I'll have to play? I'm very anxious of the fact that I might have to practice rarely or even never.

Thanks. :cry:

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i didnt pick it up till in College. now, im two years out of it, and i definitely had more time to play IN college than after college. college is the best time to play guitar. really.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

There will always be things that compete with guitar for your time.

Romance, study, jobs, a family, other obsessions.... :shock:

But the good news is that playing music is like riding a bicycle - once you learn you don't have to start over again just because you don't ride as often.

Also, no matter what happens through your life, each day will still have 24 hours in it, and if you're keen enough you'll always find ways to spend some of them doing what you love.

Have a great time at College, and keep enjoying your music. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

College is what you make of it. If you want to play guitar you'll be able to find the time.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I'm in my 3rd university year and school requires a lot of my time. I still manage to spend 1-3 hours practicing guitar everyday but I had to stop watching TV hehe. Seriously, TV is such a waste of time! I don't play videogames anymore either! Basically anytime I have free time I'm either surfing the net or playing guitar.

So yeah, I'm sure you're going to have to make some sacrifices but guitar is worth it!

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

I'm in my second year of college now and picked up guitar my junior year of high school. Honestly, I have more spare time now than I did in high school. Except the last week and a half (finals week), I usually have an hour or two of time to play a day. You'll have time.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

um...go to the college of rock.
I met my best band mates in college.
we still jam to this day.
being musical in college deepened the college experience;
make the time and time will expand.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Balance is the key to life -- I wouldn't ever think of my career as interfering with my guitar or let my guitar interfere with work. Balance!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I started playing guitar when I left school, through college and then on to university. I went for a computer programming degree foundation year (too much guitar and not enough college grades to go straight onto the uni course). The good thing about that was that for that first year, I was doing the course for nothing more than the bit of paper at the end of it - I already knew everything that the course entailed inside out, I'd been doing it for years. I was supposed to do about 20 or 30 hours a week in uni, and about the same again outside of uni hours. I basically went to the lessons, finished up in about 20 minutes (because I wasn't learning anything, just doing the assignments) and back to my digs. I was living away from home during the week on a student budget, so I had nothing to do but learn guitar pretty much all day every day.

Not a recommended course of action, but I sure enjoyed it :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@fluid)
Trusted Member

I started playing guitar a little over a year ago when I started my Master's Degree, I'm busier than I've ever been before but I always find time to play. I even keep a guitar in the office for when work really gets to me! You can always find time for something like playing guitar.

ReplyQuote
 Sik
(@sik)
Eminent Member

I started playing when I was - say 14-15 years old... then... life took over, you know girlfriend, work - marriage, kids, more kids, more work... so I have hardly touched the guitar in 30 years (all kids grown up now) and they have changed EVERYTHING - well it seems they have, (or I didn't really pay attention back then)... I thought a cord was a cord, but these days I think I seen up to 15 variations of the same cord... can they just be intermixed as you go or will your playing sound odd?

-Sik

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Hey Reeve, I just finished up my first semester in University. I manage to start living on my own, study, cook, clean, study, play guitar and still maintain a social life. I find I play a lot on Saturday and Sundays afternoon, helps after a hard night of partying. If I can manage, I'm pretty sure anybody can.

Anyway, like Arjen said, if you want to find time you can, just make sure your studies come first.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Well, my career has cost me one student this year because I simply wasn't able to commit to getting there after work on a Tuesday evening. After five weeks of having to work back, I finally got out at 6:15 one Tuesday, rushed home thinking "great - throw some dinner down my neck and I can get over to Mick's" and found that Kathy had had to work back so dinner hadn't even been started.

What I do now is I make sure I spend that Tuesday evening playing, mostly my accoustic or electric, or trying to set up some recordings. I still make sure I make time to do my classical guitar work though, and I think over this year I've averaged out as playing every other day, which is pretty neat. As Musenfreund said, it's a question of balance. Until playing guitar pays as much as investment banking, I guess it'll always be that way.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

You will have time to play in college, don't sweat it.

ReplyQuote
(@reeve)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I guess it'll just be what I make of it. If I wanna spend 3 hours playing per day, so it will happen.

I'm glad I'll have nothing to fret about. (haha) :wink:

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2