Clear all

The Left Handed Switch

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@fretfumbler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I've decided to do it. After playing for two years right handed, I've come to the conclusion that it was a mistake. The non-dominant hand just can't do a higher strumming tempo without going haywire. Picking accuracy has been an issue also. I figure I shouldn't be striking incorrect strings as often as I do.

I watched a SRV DVD and that sealed the deal. He is amazing and it was obvious that the strumming/picking hand is where it's at. His control is simply awesome.

Still there is the negative that make me start learning right handed.....no decent guitars to buy! I stopped in Guitar Center today and they had a grand total of zero acoustic guitars, and two Fender Highway 1 strats.

Where do you lefties buy your guitars? I'd rather not buy over the internet, because I'd like to be able to play before I buy. I will hit some of the other local shops to see what they have. I prefer not to do business with Guitar Center anyway.

kab
(@kab)
Eminent Member

Hmm, you'll have to travel. Sadly, lots of places will spec. order you a lefty, but that is a buy-before-try sort of deal, so hopefully you'll know what you want ahead of time.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Hi, you can buy a lefty guitar anywhere. You will have to order the lefty version of the guitar you want, but any shop that sells for the brand you want will get it for you.

And there are plenty of great choices out there. I can't think of a single big name that doesn't sell lefty. You just don't have your choice of every model.

The only drawback is you can't try before you buy but if you know what you want and buy a good name and model that would suit you, no problem. For every lefty out there, there are many righties and plenty of feedback available for specific models. :D

What type of guitar are you looking for and what is your budget?

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@fretfumbler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I want to get an acoustic first. My rightie is a Seagull and I like it, but I was thinking of upgrading. Something under $1000. I hear Tacoma makes a nice guitar in that price range.

Since I have been playing right handed I can play the right handed models to make a model selection, but I've read so many times here and other places that it's best to play the actual guitar first. Five identical models could have both turds and special guitars. It sounds like you're telling me I'm stuck.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I don't think you are stuck. Since you know the brand and model you want, you can practice with the righty (you are a winner here) to make sure you really want it and then can order the lefty. Should something be wrong with the lefty, they can straighten it our or send it back for another one.

This is why I would only buy an acoustic locally. I bought electric on the internet though. My first acoustic guitar......was a Hohner 440, a lefty factory made with a righty nut and it was a pain to tune and the low E was jamming in a little slot intended for the high E, it really annoyed me. I considered it a righty guitar strung lefty and did not want it. The shop sent it back for another one and it turns out they were all made that way, so they sent it back to Hohner again (Hohner picked up the tab both times) and I upgraded to a Dean Performer SE in lefty and I have been very happy with the guitar...........

.........so, you don't have to worry about being 'stuck' with a bad guitar if you use a shop with a good reputation. They want all your future business and they have the added pressure of lower price internet sales, so it is in their best interest to make sure you are happy. My shop did everything they could to hook me up with a guitar I was happy with. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

Hi.
I guess I'm lucky. We have a store here (in Houston) called
South Paw Guitars. It's lefty heaven! Not just fenders and Gibsons either, I mean Rickenbacher, Gretcsh, Guild, Martins, Taylors.....
Dreadnaughts, Semi-hollow bodies, resonators........
And they have really good service...whoever it is they have that sets up
guitars, they know what they are doing too.
It seems like every time I go there (currently drooling over a Les Paul Studio) they have customers from all over the world there buying stuff
I always wanted a 335ish guitar. Being a lefty, finding one isn't easy
and I don't have good luck when odering something along those lines.
They got all kinds there.

Oh yeah, I heard that PRS (you know, those over priced shecters?)
Stopped production on the lefty versions...
I forget why but I think it has to do with consumer consious leftys looking elsewhere for axes
PRS makes good guitars, just not as good as they seem to think they are

Getting back on topic......
I live in the 4th largest city in America. You'd figure that the other 3
larger cities would have some place that catered to leftys also.
Hmmm.... Franchises.....Franchises .......

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

How far is it for you to get to upstate New York? There's a store there that carries a lot of lefties including Tacoma.

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/LHMenu.htm

I bought a leftie Tacoma (DR14LH) from a local store, I had to special order it and wait eight weeks for them to build it. It was worth the wait. I don't think try before you buy is as big a deal in the more expensive guitars. The cool thing I've noticed with my Tacoma is, it sounded great when I bought it and sounds even better now that I've had it a year. They age well.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@fretfumbler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the information guys.

I have checked out those websites and they look good, especially the Southpaws in Houston. A smart idea.

I guess I'll just have to pay before I play. I'll play the right hand versions and make a choice from there. I'll try to remember to let you know what I decide.

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Word on Southpaw Guitars is that they really jack up the prices...I have no personal knowledge of this, but did some research of my own before I bought my Taylor and that was the general scoop on Southpaw...Just an FYI

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@fretfumbler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I decided to work with my local shop rather than do a long distance deal. I took the good advice and played the right handed guitars till I found just the right one, and had them order me a lefty. I'll just have to hope it feels and plays as nice as the righty I played.

I chose a Larrivee L-03. It is one sweet geetar. If I could figure out how to post a link or picture, I'd leave one.

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Good luck! I heard Larrivee makes a great guitar!

Julius

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote