Clear all

Theres been a disaster!!!!!

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok...So i won this incredibley rare Ibanez USA Custom on ebay, at a steal price!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&item=130024300697&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
...BUT. Then I phone them (it was a shop), n they say "ok, I'll get the Paypal payment thro then ship it off"
All fine so far, I'd get the guitar tommorow.
Later I get a phonecall from them "There's been a disaster" they say. Turns out some absolute GOON managed to damage it, breaking of the neck n snapping the headstock!!! :shock: :shock:
I mean c'mon! Its a rare, valuable, collectable! A little care wouldnt go a miss. :cry:

Sooooo, they're gonna see what the luthier can do, but the guy says (salesman, not the luthier) from the looks of it, it won'y really be anywhere near the guitar it was before... :( I just hav to pray he's wrong. I mean if it can b repaired to the point where the neck plays the same, n the sound n looks are still great I'd still b interested. But it doesnt sound likely... :?

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i'm a cynical, untrusting, old fogey. :twisted:

ok, now that we got that out of the way...

this sounds suspicious to me, i would get a full refund and move on.
i know that accidents happen but a shop experianced in handling and shipping guitars shouldn't be having those kinds of "accidents" i would think that at the VERY LEAST a huge discount would be in order "IF" they can make the guitar right again.
otherwise i would just get my money back and make sure to warn others with a negative feedback

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'd have to agree with twisty on that one..sounds a little suspicious to me too!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

First thing I'd like to see is a pic of the damage - call me mistrusting, but............

A guitar shop that photographs a rare guitar leant against a stool (or is it a djemba?) and not on a guitar stand has to be suspicious or incompetent.
I'd want a huge discount - what you bought no longer exists. What they have is a damaged rare guitar and, as such, is far less valuable, even valueless.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah that thought went thro my mind too. But I had already had the money refunded to me before I called em back n heard about what happened, n they did say if i was to buy it now it would be discounted...I mean the whole explaination sounded very genuine n the feedback for the store is overwhelmingly positive...
But u nvr know. Maybe they really didn't wana let it go at that price n cooked it up, like u guys said. :?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

They should set a reserve price or minimum starting price in their auctions.

Then they won't have to make up bogus stories about necks breaking if it sells at too low of a price.

edit: I'm not saying that's what happened. Just speaking hypothetically, of course. Innocent until proven guilty.

:snicker:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Then they won't have to make up bogus stories about necks breaking if it sells at too low of a price.

edit: I'm not saying that's what happened. Just speaking hypothetically, of course. Innocent until proven guilty.

BINGO :!: I thinks that is what happened, But I'm a suspicious old fart :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well their starting price was £399...So there's no excuse for em, apart from incompetance (assuming its BS).
Damn, its times like this I wish I'd got driving lessons n a car - then i'd make the 1h45min drive there n check it out under an aliasincognito 8) hehe... Or just burst in there screaming four letter words about their mothers n run out with the geetar :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Call them and say that you'll take the wreck off their hands, in it's current state, for £50 including postage. They just need to pack all the bits nice and safely and send it to you and you'll say no more, nudge, nudge, nod and a wink.

I don't think that a luthier would charge more than £100-150 to repair the broken neck.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I think I'll just wait it out till tommorow, see if they ring n report on the situation...If they don't I'll know its BS. If theyr really that devious I'd rather just keep my refund n not bother em anymore :? I'm sure the high end Prestige models i was looking at b4 models r actually better. It just the uniqueness of this one gave it an added value of its own...Oh well...Woulda been nice :( haha, not to mention the £400 or so price difference :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

When you file the claim with eBay just say that the item is "not as described"...all money should be refunded including shipping. But keep in mind...if you make an agreement OUTSIDE of eBay you will NOT be covered for a refund. I'd find a way to drive the 2 hours to get there and look at it first...even ask if you can take it to your own luthier to check it out (leave callateral with them while you have the guitar)...

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Ask them for a photo and tell them you are going to have a local luthier look at the photos and determine if he can fix it.

Then sit back and wait. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Definitely get a photo, this type of thing happens on EBAY all the time.

If they don't, save all records you have from the transaction and keep an eye out for if the item goes back up for bid in the next week. Then you can nail them.

Still won't get you the guitar, though.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Just forget the whole thing whatever the story is. You may never really know. there are other guitars out there and you haven't even heard this one yet. Tell Paypal and don't let the payment go through.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Either someone locally paid more and they no longer have the guitar, or they didn't get what they wanted from it, or it was broken all along and they're trying to get more.

There's no way that this is a respectable shop.

I'd definitely let e-bay know they have a scammer on their hands.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2