Tremelo arm technique

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
To be honest i'm pretty crap at using the tremelo arm. Does anyone have any advise?
When I see Satrani use it live iits amazing, he makes it really scream with without even doing natural harmonics most of the time. How the heck does he this?
Any help would be gr8
(oh, and yes i do have a flyod rose)

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Step one at getting better with your trem is learning to be more precise with it. One of the things I see beginners struggle with is that they just bash the arm or wobble it crazily, without any sort of musical reasoning.

While that effect is flashy, THE place to start is with control like bends, practice specific intervals. Play two notes, one after the other, then play the first one and use your trem to get the second note, then release the trem and hit the same note again. With some practice, you should be able to consistently bend some fairly serious intervals.

Physical tip: Grip the arm instead of just smacking it from the top. A lot of beginners just whack it :roll: and while that is a way to get a neato percussive effect, it doesn't help you learn to control your trem very well. Good luck.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. I think that'll help a lot, but what about how Satrani gets it to scream like that without even natural harmonics?

Oh, and another thing, when pulling back on the trem arm, how hard can you pull without the risk of snapping strings?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Just a guess: He may be using it to control feedback -- that is his positioning WRT his amp is such that a particular note (actually a group of certain notes) will feedback when played. If one plays a nearby note and bends into one of the "hot" notes, feedback will take over and it will scream.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote