Trip from the US to Ireland

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Found out this morning that I might be going to Dublin, Ireland for work at the end of October. It will be a three week trip and I really dont want to be without my guitar for that amount of time. What would be the best way to pack a full bodied acoustic? Can you carry them on or would I have to pack it underneath the plane? I'm wondering if its even worth it but like I said, I really dont want to go without for that long.

Also, what about while i am there? I am kind of worried about leaving it in the hotel while I work during the day.

Any suggestion about travel?

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Geoo,
Just make sure you have plenty of beer tokens, so you can sample the black stuff properly. Once you have experienced the "crack" (Irish hospitallity) you probably won't be worrying too much about your guitar.

Have fun and and have a pint of Guinness for me will you?

Rik

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Geoo

This topic has been discussed at length several times in these forums. If you do a search you should find more detailed answers.

I travel frequently and bought a hardcase for my full size acoustic. Normally it is too large for carry-on. In most cases though, they will let you "gate-check" it where it doesn't go through the normal luggage handling. Always ask politely if you may carry on your guitar. If not, ask if you may gate check it. In the rare case where they allow neither, a good hardcase "should" protect your axe. Finally, I've never had a problem leaving my guitar in a hotel room.

Another option is a cheap beater guitar or smaller travel guitar; several threads discussing these as well.

Good luck and enjoy Dublin - fun town and a nice country.

(Brought to you from a trip to Japan where I did not lug my guitar :( )

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Or it could be an excellent opportunity to buy a new guitar while there :twisted:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

man that sounds great! i wish i was going.
have a good time and i vote for Teles' suggestion

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

You guys might want to re-think your suggestion when you see the prices we pay here :shock:

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

You guys might want to re-think your suggestion when you see the prices we pay here :shock:
Money is no object, neither I nor Twisty will be spending it :lol:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

You could always look at Irish bouzoukis :D

More seriously, if you're going BA, forget it, there's a high probablility, that at the very least, they'll wreck the case. Can't speak for other airlines on transatlantic routes. Unless you can confirm some space onboard the aircraft for it, I wouldn't risk it.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the ideas, suggestions, and comments. I've decided that I wont be taking it along. There is no sense really. Last time I took one of these trips it meant 12 - 14 hour work days so the only time I would have to play would be the weekends. Not to mention that now they are saying that "While your there" :lol: they may go ahead and send us to the other 6 or 7 countries that we have offices in (England, Switzerland, Netherlands, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, I think thats all of them) and I think that it too much risk for my blood. Maybe I'll just pack my harmonica and get some practice in on that.

Doubt I will be the one that gets to go anyway. I was just kind of planning ahead.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Not to mention that now they are saying that "While your there" :lol: they may go ahead and send us to the other 6 or 7 countries that we have offices in (England, Switzerland, Netherlands, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, I think thats all of them) and I think that it too much risk for my blood.

Geoo

Yea but those Spanish girls LOVE guys with guitars! :wink:

Hombres que tocan la guitarra :wink: :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

geoo,

you've made the right decision, if they do send you to those countries - a lot of those flights are likely to be in small 48 or 80 seaters, with little or no cabin storage room.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member

If you go you should find a way to take a guitar, seriously. I've been to Ireland twice and I took my guitar both times. Not because I can't miss my guitar, but because it's fun. I've had lots of fun playing in pubs & parks, which I've never ever done here at home... I got the cheapest guitar I could find on ebay and took that one. Okay, may be less good but still, a guitar is a guitar. It had to go in the luggage room and I was suprised it got out unscratched as I didn't even bother to put in a hardcase (too much weight for backpacking..). I took the chance of ruining it, it was either this or nothing. But it's only about an hour for me and I don't know how they handle such things on transatlantic flights.

And Rik's right, if you get a guitar there in one piece, don't worry about it anymore untill heading for a plain again...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Took my guitar to Texas, bought a brand new hard case...which got totally ruined between Minneapolis & Gatwick....fell apart on the baggage conveyor, picks, strings slides etc everywhere...

That was with Northwest Airlines....

However, the guitar made it back in one piece...so at least the case served its purpose....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Money is no object, neither I nor Twisty will be spending it :lol:

I like your style Tele :D

ReplyQuote