Notifications
Clear all

Tune versus temperature

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@avand)
Topic starter  

I am very new to guitar, I tend to tune my guitar on a daily basis and have found that on a cold day the tuning is sharp on a hot day it is flat, this is consistent on all strings.
Here in Melbourne Australia we can have all four seasons in one day.
Is this normal? or have I purchased a crap guitar (Washburn idol WI64DL) .:?:

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nope, wood changes when temperature changes. I seriously doubt that washburn is a POS... :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, you are correct. Temperature changes do effect tuning. This is why when you bring your guitar from extreme temperature changes outside when tranporting it, you let it set for a while (in its case) inside when your setting up your equipment.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

And the Washburn is a nice guitar.

And one of the reasons bands set up hours before a show is to allow their instruments to acclimate to the room and be tuned after they've warmed up or cooled down.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

It isn't just the wood. Its the strings. Imagine a rail track, why do you think the rail companies leave gaps to allow for expansion / contraction.

My acoustic goes very highly tuned when its gone cold. This is normal. I am sure its not your guitar.

A bigger problem for you might be storing the guitar where there is huge temperature (and worse, humidity) changes. Try and store it somwhere to minimise this.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, metal strings change with the temperature a lot more than the wood does. OTOH, humidity changes affect the wood, but not metallic or nylon strings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote