Clear all

Tuning help again...

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@nobigetosforme)
Topic starter  

I messed up guys. I asked for C D C F A G tuning but i meant to put
C G C F A G. Can someone tell me how to do it without a tuner on an acoustic guitar?

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

How do you normally tune without a tuner?

Anyway, how about this: After tuning regularly, tune your E string so it's an octave below your A string's third fret. Now tune the D to be in unison with A3. Tune the G string to D5 (although it's really F5 now). B string to G4. High E two octaves above what used to be the A string. Can someone correct the numerous errors I'm sure I've made?

Now the real question, how the heck will you get back without a tuner?

EDIT: $20 (US) and a trip to the guitar shop will solve this problem once ans for all.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Use a Piano and try tuning down first. You really should get a chromatic tuner. Only 20 bucks man.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@nobigetosforme)
Topic starter  

Look people, there are others ways of tuning besides using a tuner. Just trust me damnit, I will be able to get it back to standard tuning without much difficulty at all.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

:? :?

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

On the one hand you say that standard tuning is easy but then find yourself unable to think far enough to consider how to retune down one or two whole steps.

Paul Donnelly has told you how to do it as have others, in your other thread. Yet you say that's too hard and complicated. When people do give you the most efficient and simple way of doing it (tuner), you snap at them.

Either you need help or you don't. The GN members will bend over backwards to give it to you, if you do. They certainly don't deserve to be treated rudely.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Still trying to work out what chord this'd be........is it F major 9th?

(Playing all six strings open)

Tom - HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!

And still trying to work out what you'd need such a weird tuning for...... come on, give us a clue!!!!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

Look people, there are others ways of tuning besides using a tuner. Just trust me damnit, I will be able to get it back to standard tuning without much difficulty at all.

You're right, there are pleanty of ways of tuning besides using a tuner. I tune by ear all the time. Actually, I prefer not to use a tunner most of the time. But that's only because I'm lucky enough to have perfect pitch. But, since you are asking how to do it, I would have to say use the tuner. Honestly it will make things a lot easier on you.

One quick question for you though. If you can't figure out how to tune it on your own, how on earth ARE you planning on getting it back to standard tuning? :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Ok, the trick to getting to a tuning is figuring out a reference point. You want to go from EADGBE to CDCFAG. Since none of the strings are the same, you're going to have to change them all.

First off, the disclaimer: I never change a tuning more than a minor third without replacing the string with a different gauge. If you don't, you end up either too 'floppy', or you bust a string. Having said that...

I'd tune the fifth string first. You're going to D, so just match it to an octave below the standard tuning 4th string. I'm assuming you want an octave below the open D - otherwise the 4th string C will be lower than the open fifth string.

Now that you have a low D fifth string, the C will be on the 10th fret of that string. Lower the 4th string to match the 10th fret of the 5th string. Two down.

Match the sixth string to an octave below the open 4th (now C) string. Halfway there.

On the fourth string (now C), the F will be at the 5th fret. Lower the 3rd string to match the 5th fret of the 4th string.

On the third string (now F), The A will be at the fourth fret. Lower the second string to match the 3rd string 4th fret.

Now you're left with the first string - the G will be at the 10th fret of the second string (which is now at A). Tune up to match that note.

If you haven't busted the 1st string, and if your 5th and 6th aren't flopping around your frets, you're done.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nobigetosforme)
Topic starter  

Woohoo! I did it. Thanks for all the help guys! :D

ReplyQuote