Clear all

Tuning to open A, bad for strings?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, is tuning to open A bad for your strings?
open A is from low to high, E A E A C# E
this means that 3 strings are tuned up a step from standard tuning. Are strings designed to be pulled tighter for alternate tunings? Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

It shouldnt have a huge effect on the strings tone, but it putting more stress on the strings, so they might not last as long. I bet the the guage has a big impact on it.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I use the trick I learned from wiser heads on this board:

tune to open G:

D G D G B D

Place a capo on the 2nd fret and you've got open A! No additional stress on the strings because you've tuned down not up.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

When tuning up, rather then down or to standard tuning, you're putting alot of tension on the neck of the guitar and that's a much bigger problem then breaking strings.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that alternate way to get that tuning musen. I'll have to get used to the fret markers changing positions, but atleast it wont stress my strings more.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It won't work well for slide playing to use a capo. Puts the strings really low to the fretboard near the capo. OK for fretted fingerpicking, though.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote