Clear all

Types of wood used in guitars?

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm planning on buying a solid body guitar, now that I've learned on my laminate.

What kinds of body wood do I have to choose from? I know there is Spruce and Cedar, what else? And what do the different woods sound like?

What about the kinds of fretboard wood? There is rosewood, and....?

Please explain the advantages/disadvantages of each wood, what are your personal favorites?

Is there any reason to get a guitar with solid sides and solid back as well as solid top?

Basically tell me everything there is to know about guitar wood.

(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

When you say "Solid Body" I assume you are not talking about a solid body electric, but rather an accoustic made from "real" wood and not laminate (Yeah, laminate is real wood too, but you know what I mean).

I would check out a few sites like these

http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/gfaqs/gsound.htm (scroll down a few pages to the tonewood section)

or

http://www.wechterguitars.com/abe_column/archive14.htm

or

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/ToneWoods/tonewoods1.html

There is a lot of information out there, some of it is just personal observation some of it is more scientific. I would reccomend trying them out and seeing which sounds best to you.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Try the project guitar forum. Lots of people there who build guitars and information as well. http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?s=65f637f37eaf8ddaeadec82e6a0be837&act=idx

John M

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Cedar sounds great but it's soft. Definately not a beater guitar you'll need a hard case for it.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Well for tops you have:

Spruce
Cedar
Redwood
Koa
Mahogany

for backs you can have just about anything

Maple
Rosewood
Ebony
Cherry

You name it. Generally the back is a denser wood.

the list goes on and on.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

for backs you can have just about anything

Maple
Rosewood
Ebony
Cherry

Mahogany! :shock:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

sure.

Ozark Wild Cherry
Lyrachord - not a wood, BUT NOT PLASTIC.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Fretboards are virtually always made out of either Rosewood or Ebony on acoustics. On a very rare occasion, you'll see a maple fretboard...

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Rosewood and ebony fingerboards are very popular. Sometimes you see wenge too - that's an African hardwood. Or 'ebonite' on cheap models... that's really a kind of plastic.

Luthiers can get creative, though - I have a custom built hollow body with a ribbon mahogany fretboard. I've also seen walnut, and a few exotics, like peroba rosa.

If you get into the electric arena, there aren't many woods that DON'T get used - alder, poplar, swamp ash, basswood, walnut are all fairly common for bodies.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member

I saw an add for an all ash made guitar.

acoustic guitar - top, back and sides made from ash.

what do you think of it ?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nothing, since IIRC 'ash' and 'swamp ash' aren't specific kinds of woods found in whatever tree-catalogus you may have. Pretty hard to predict how it will sound.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Arjen is right in that they're vague terms. I could take dozens of completely different woods and build 'genuine ash' guitars. In the US at least, 'ash' usually means fraxinus americana - also called white ash, biltmore ash, or canadian ash - but it could actually be any of the other species, each of which is pretty similar.

'Swamp ash' is actually a little more precise... it refers to ash with open pores. These woods grow at more southern latitudes, and the wood is a bit softer. Swamp ash is usually fraxinus caroliniana, fraxinus nigra, or fraxinus pennsylvanica.

If you're going to fault a term as not applying to a single species, though, you'd need to rule out a lot of other common terms for guitar woods: spruce, cedar, mahogany, rosewood, maple, and walnut, just to name a few. The only common terms that apply to a single species are going to be things like Koa (etelis coruscans) that grow in very isolated areas.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote