Clear all

Unwanted noise during recording

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Me and my 2 friends have put together a band for now. Nothing special, jsut 2 guitars and a singer so far. We're playing covers now but we're going to try writing some stuff. Me and my guitarist friend are recording the guitar tracks of the song using Goldwave. ( a good free sound recorder and editor, try it) We were trying out "Times Like These" by the foo fighters and while listening to the playback, on my rhythm part, in addition to the sound coming from my amp, you can easily hear the sound of my pick hitting the strings. You can constantly hear each time the pick hits the strings. Why does this happen and is there any way to minimize this at all?

Thanks alot

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Goldwave is OK. I used to use it before I switched to audacity.

As for the pick clicking, try holding the pick a little more firmly and try standing farther away from the amp and mic.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@armistice)

I presume you're talking about an acoustic guitar here. Try a harder pick to reduce pick noise - give a bit more info as to what you're trying to record (style, type of guitar) and there are other tips I can throw your way.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well, actually I'm playing a fender standard strat. Also, I am seated at least 3 feet away from my amp. I wasn't sure what the size of pick i was moving but next time i'll try my 3mm one, but I'm pretty sure that the noise will happen with any pick. I am playing the rhythm section to "times like these" by the foo fighters. It's really easy, jsut 8th note powerchords in different places.

Any more tips would be helpful. Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Most mics can easily pick up sound from across the room if they're turned up loud enough (if the gain or sensitivity is turned up), so that would be the problem.

If you have a mixer, you might turn the channel's gain down a bit and turn the amp up, but I get the feeling you're probably recording in a bedroom or similar place where you can't really crank the amp up.

If you are in a bedroom, you might put the amp and the mic in a closet or bathroom and shut the door with your guitar lead (cord) and the mic cable running underneath the door. Or at least shut the door most of the way to minimize the outside noises the mic might pick up.

You could also put the mic and amp on the other side of the bed so it's at least not in direct 'hearing' angle/range of where you and your guitar are.

If your amp has a Line Out in the back, you could maybe plug the thing straight into your mixer (or computer) and eliminate the mic altogether.

Take care and good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Well, actually I'm playing a fender standard strat. Also, I am seated at least 3 feet away from my amp. I wasn't sure what the size of pick i was moving but next time i'll try my 3mm one, but I'm pretty sure that the noise will happen with any pick. I am playing the rhythm section to "times like these" by the foo fighters. It's really easy, jsut 8th note powerchords in different places.

Any more tips would be helpful. Thanks

Get farther away from the mic, as far as you can.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

at least 3 feet away from my amp.

Indeed, 3ft isn't very far at all. Try standing 10 feet away, turn your gain down and turn your amp up.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Much of the pick scraping may get lost in the mix. When you've done everything else, and there's still too much, wait to see how it comes out.

ReplyQuote
(@darkside23)
Eminent Member

would it not be easier to plug the amp directly into the pc instead of using a mic to pick up the sound? forgiver me if this is a stupid point... i have Cubase vst and was trying to record some guitar playing into that the other day, the results were okay but i could not have the monitor on due to a delay problem, anyway i had the amp plugged into the mic input of the Pc (i may have a line input on the back of the pc, just not been arsed to look yet), would it be better to plug a mic in and record that way?

beware the Power of the Stratocaster, for once you start down the Fender Path, forever will it dominate your destiny

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

In a pinch I've put the mic in a cardboard box with pillows to isolate it (I have extreme computer noise in my "Studio")

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote